• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Increase the Versility of A Lee AutoDisk PRO Powder Measure

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Ok, perhaps I'm the only one that has tried this (and will admit to doing so).
And I'm certainly not recommending that everyone go out and do this.

I wanted to use my Lee AutoDisk Pro to reload some .308 that required a 3.3168 CC's
powdwe charge .... Well, there is no combination of stacked disks that will give you more than 3.14 CC's!

So, not wanting to use another powder OR buy another powder measure, I undertook a web search for an answer. I finally found that someone "claimed" that they had "drilled out the 1.57 hole to 9/16 ... And we know that everything on the Internet is "true" (notwithstanding Al Gore who claims to have invented it!)

So, having three identical disks with a 1.57 hole, I drilled one using my handy dandy drill press ... OOOPs, that was a tad too big! So, here I have and bigger almost usable
hole in my disk. Well, knowing that it wasn't somethng that was stressed much, I took a piece of copier paper and some nail polish and made a "sleeve" for the too big hole.

A few coats of nail polish and some dry time and I now have a combination of one un-reamed 1.57 over one "reamed" 1.57 hole that (amazingly) yields 3.3168 CC's, every pull of the handle.

Since I weigh each rifle charge anyhow, all this does is make the process much faster in that I'm doing very, very, very little "trickling" now.

Care to share your (lucky) mistakes?

Thanks for sharing your trick. You should make a video to post up on youtube. We all learn from each others testing, always knowing to actually weigh out the thrown amount for the charge until we know we can repeat the same result.

I've used my Auto-Disk long enough to know that the chart that is published by Lee on VMD is not exactly on par with reality. I also know that not every powder is going to have the same VMD lot to lot. I also never take for granted, that because it is published, that it will be the same result that I get.

Ha I did the same thing, and to achieve precise .1<> to .4 just drill a port with a bigger bit than the hole. I usually check wt every 1/8 inch. I have mine throwing 4.1 solo 1000 for 9mm

Back
Top Bottom