• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Increasing the capacity of a .22 LR Pistol

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have often wondered why most of the .22LR pistols are detuned to only 10 rounds. Steve started a thread on this and got me scrounging around my workshop today in search of increased magazine capacity for my Advantage Arms Glock 17 drop in kit.

The magazine is restricted to 10 rounds in a 5 inch magazine? They make a Glock 26/27 drop in kit also and it is restricted to 10 rounds too. Here is a pic with the last (10th) round clearly visible with 2 1/2 inches of unused magazine still left.
i40.tinypic.com_dovwqg.jpg

Here is a comparison with a standard normal capacity G17 9mm magazine. The last line of peep holes, the last round drops below them and about 1" of magazine is left.
i43.tinypic.com_2v9vw5x.jpg

I have messed around with this kit before and found some useful information on care and feeding of the AA kits that helped the gun run well. Some information on pushing the 10 round barriers existed but I had not acted upon it until today.

I gutted one of my AA Glock 17 magazines and noted the follower had way too much meat on it and put it on a diet immediately.

Before
i39.tinypic.com_23jfqzs.jpg

After (1st attempt)
i40.tinypic.com_b3jypy.jpg

It didn't have the impact I wanted and I only got an extra round. So I went and used my redneck mill (a drill press and welding vice with cutting tip torqued down) and cut a plug. The first attempt was with brass but I had an issue with the stock and had to move on to another media (lead 240 grain .44). It quickly came into shape and after some trial and error was hand fit to the magazine. It was merely a prototype but seems durable enough to last a bit. I got 13 rounds with it and the reduced follower.

I got greedy and wanted to see if 14 or perhaps 15 rounds could be possible but went a bit too far and as it is now 1 to 2 rounds will fail to feed properly after the severe anorexic removal of follower. I did gain 14 rounds of ammo. That last round was tight but it went in.
i42.tinypic.com_28vc1ud.jpg

I was aware that AA arms didn't sell G26/27 parts directly without a G26/27 magazine body. Truth always has a date and time stamp! I just learned AA is selling the parts directly and I ordered a few. With the G26/27 parts I should get at least 14 rounds and perhaps 15 out of my G17 magazine bodies. When they arrive I will report back and if you own a full size AA kit the replacement parts should correct the restriction.

The plug is $4 and the follower is $5. Yeah it's another $9 plus shipping to toss down the drain but worth it to me. The shipping was $15 so if you drop hammer on this don't do one or two. A group purchase would be best. I bought already but feel free to post in this thread and get a savings on shipping if you can. http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

If anyone else has increased their capacity of their restricted .22 LR pistol please post your story. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I hope I can find a solution to my SR22 mag capacity soon. Hopefully I can get an extra 2 rounds or so in there.

Congratulations!

I hope I can find a solution to my SR22 mag capacity soon. Hopefully I can get an extra 2 rounds or so in there.

Thanks,

Steve could you post a pic of your magazine, better yet to break it down and post pics of that as well. I have yet to find one I can touch. Surprisingly the technology has not changed much other than the semi-staggered set-up on many of the newer .22LR's. You will have a follower that you may trim a bit, a spring and a plug. You may be able to make a shorter plug or shorten the plug itself. The two should gain you some digits in order to allow a couple of extra rounds or more in the magazine.

Just got the parts tonight and tried them out. With the G26/27 plug and follower I got 15 rounds. I did have to take a 25/64" drill bit and smooth out the spring tunnel a bit to allow the follower to rise to the top of feed ramp. I took care not to damage the feed ramp.

On another note, I found the magazine follower I modified would run with 13 rounds without fail but attempting to force the 14th round locked the magazine up.

Here are the new parts on the right, old parts left. The new parts allow 15 rounds to be loaded without breaking your booger hooks off.

i41.tinypic.com_2qcfh4o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom