• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Independent Hauling. Cars, boats RVs ?

davans

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Airborne Infantry
76   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about the independent hauling business?
I’ve heard of folks doing pretty well at it but can’t find much info. I’m talking 1Ton Pick up stuff. Not tractor trailers.
Let me know.
Thanks,

It's not cheap to run the roads, and it's a cut throat business. If you tend to stay away from U-Ship loads, you'll maybe make a decent living. I drove big trucks over 20 years, and I can tell you you'll be old before your time, be it in hotshot loads or big trucks. You'll lose your friends, and probably your wife, being gone all the time trying to make that buck. Forget your social life, unless you hang out in a truck stop waiting for a load. I'm 67 tomorrow and someday's I feel like I'm 100. If you can do something else that's my recommendation. I think any honest answer you get from a Trucker will tell you the same.

It's not cheap to run the roads, and it's a cut throat business. If you tend to stay away from U-Ship loads, you'll maybe make a decent living. I drove big trucks over 20 years, and I can tell you you'll be old before your time, be it in hotshot loads or big trucks. You'll lose your friends, and probably your wife, being gone all the time trying to make that buck. Forget your social life, unless you hang out in a truck stop waiting for a load. I'm 67 tomorrow and someday's I feel like I'm 100. If you can do something else that's my recommendation. I think any honest answer you get from a Trucker will tell you the same.
I hear ya.
I’m not interested in a tractor trailer gig.
I travel for a living now. Both flying and driving. Can’t say I like being away from home but I have always loved the highway. I’m 56 and already own a 1 Ton Dodge with a Cummins. These corporate sales gigs are killing me. I’ve looked into a few opportunities. But hitting the road in my own truck sounds like a dream job......

I hear ya.
I’m not interested in a tractor trailer gig.
I travel for a living now. Both flying and driving. Can’t say I like being away from home but I have always loved the highway. I’m 56 and already own a 1 Ton Dodge with a Cummins. These corporate sales gigs are killing me. I’ve looked into a few opportunities. But hitting the road in my own truck sounds like a dream job......

Travelling and pulling loads can be two very different things.

Only pulled a dodge with car trailer twice, besides that it was big trucks. It takes a lot of the joy out of driving. Also long hours.

There is or was a guy here doing just that.

You might can find him with a search. Haven't seen him looking for business in about a year.

Travelling and pulling loads can be two very different things.

Only pulled a dodge with car trailer twice, besides that it was big trucks. It takes a lot of the joy out of driving. Also long hours.

I’ve been hauling something most of my life. Just not for hire. I’ve hauled plenty of cars, campers, boats, skid steers, farm tractors. Etc. not interest in class 8 stuff. But thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom