• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Indoor range for shotgun patterning?

I didn't see anything about barrel length at Tom Lowe. I've only been the once, but since they allowed black-powder firing muzzle-loaders, surely they would let a tactical gun shoot. It's merely coincidence that I wasn't shooting an 18" gun... though maybe they would have stopped me for the first and last time. Bad enough I have to worry about my car being broken into... to then be told I can't use any shotgun I choose? See ya.

I can't imagine that place is going to be there for too much longer. The tree-covered hillside cannot be plowed to up to recover the lead; I'm assuming Fulton Co. is waiting on the EPA to shut it down, so they can get out of the "gun" business. Supposition on my part though.

Who shoots birdshot out of an 18" gun? Me and every other 3-gunner or tactical shooter that I know. Until just now, it's never occurred to me that it's not normal. After all, patterns are determined by choke and not barrel length. Barrel length only makes the sighting plane longer, and maybe the swinging more natural on flying targets. Clay pigeons don't know the difference. It's good shotgun practice, and a heck of lot cheaper than buckshot.

The only ranges I know of that allow shotguns with birdshot are those whose backstop consists of shredded rubber chips.

Angled steel plates as a backstop is incompatible with birdshot, or so is the prevailing view today. It never seemed to be a problem for me at the range I used to frequent in the 1980s to early 1990s (On Target on Windy Hill Rd. at Hwy 41 in Marietta). They let people shoot birdshot. And I shot dozens of rounds of it, rapid fire on IPSC cardboard targets set at about 3 yards (I love seeing those softball-sized holes in the target!)

Never been to an indoor range that doesn't require slugs. They may be out there but going to be hard to find.

As for Tom Lowe, I stopped by years ago to ask this and the answer was no. They only allow you to shoot clays there. They don't (or didn't) have any targets that you could use to pattern.

So apparently bullseye in cumming does allow birdshot on their pistol ranges! Only 25 yards though

Well... if you are patterning, 15 yards is the standard for gauging patterns. So an indoor will work. Far more important though, is the "throw it up to your shoulder and pull the trigger as it hits"-- to see if the gun shoots where you look. Then you adjust the stock up down left and right to make it shoot where you are looking. That's the serious part for wing shooting, or so I hear, though I am a mere dabbler in that world. I fiddled with spacers on mine until it hit where I looked. My 18" tactical guns-- nah, too much trouble and money, though my Stoeger 3-gun shotgun-- it had the stock spacers to do it, even as a lefty. It shoots where I look, when I'm in a hurry, and that's a nice arrangement to have. I have the cast correct for me-- as a righty, if you borrow my gun, it will pound your cheek. Not mine. : )

Research "stock cast" if you don't know what I'm talking about, especially you lefties, 'cuz it isn't correct for you out of the box. They aren't supposed to pound your face, though I was middle-aged before I learned that. Walking around with a swollen left cheek...

Now that the 3D printers are so ubiquitous, I might one day get around to making spacers for my other shotguns. But it's far down my list of projects; I can bust clays just fine with them as-is.

Back
Top Bottom