• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Indoor ranges and permanent damage Lead isn't the #1 killer.

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
I hear people snap onto lead testing every time you bring up indoor range issues but let me assure you lead takes second place to the particles in the air kicked up my rubber chip backstops and pathetic ventilation systems. There are only a few ranges in the ATL area with properly maintained HEPA filtering systems in good working order. Ones that recycle all of the air and pollution downrange. A good test for this is your high lumen EDC light during a match in the lower light areas of the bay. That can reveal the particles in the air.

I helped run an indoor match for 6-7 years in my early 50s at an older range with roof exhausts fans. It was horrible and had a rubber chip berm. I quit the match because I developed asthma and breathing attacks in the nights after training people or running IDPA GADPA matches. It's taken me years to recover well enough to get off the powder inhaler medicines and breath strongly or run a treadmill for an hour. I revisited John's Creek to shoot a match last night and shazam I can't breath this morning at 5am and forced to get up early and break out the inhaler medicine. The emergency inhalers just aggravate your lungs, you need the prescribed steroid powders which are expensive.

So next time you think about lead levels and such I would rethink what's actually going to kill you first. Breathing issues are like drowning without water and we have several dozen ranges around ATL that will put you in the grave 10-20 years early. Join an outdoor club. Your lungs will thank you and won't be shot by newbees. If you see rubber chips run like hell. You might be in your 20-30s and have no issues but you need to think about it.

Good Luck

I competed in small bore competition all through high school and college. We always fired on indoor ranges. Unless they are modern with properly spec'd ventilation systems, I don't like indoor ranges at all. For a number of reasons, but mainly that sickly sweet sensation on the back of your throat from the gunpowder in the air.

Good thoughts, I had no idea that rubber chip indoor ranges were in use that long ago. I didn’t see one until the last 20 years. 1952 was 70 years ago. I am glad to see you are still shooting matches in your late 80s.
That is my goal.
Try the action pistol outdoor match at RBGC. It is a fun short match. Out by lunch on Saturdays.

You mean you don't love the mag dump shooters on both sides of you?? Haha
I really enjoyed training for Bullseye competitions shooting my little Hi Standard 22 at 25 yards and having a bunch of 'hood clowns in the next bay doing mag dumps out of their choppahs @ 7 1/2 yards dropping bits of the ceiling down in a dust storm.

Tell me more of this indoor range operation

Attachments

• 2F412785-CE76-42E7-BF85-2FF7E33B2EE1.jpeg
    2F412785-CE76-42E7-BF85-2FF7E33B2EE1.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 19
Tell me more of this indoor range operation
Basically put that target in a dimly lit building, turn off the A/C and open a window somewhere with a box fan on the sill, and invite some inner city yutes to come inside and blast away with 5" barreled AK47s and drum mag fed 12 gauge shotguns and there you have it. The indoor range experience.

Back
Top Bottom