• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Info of law and purpose of otf knives

rebow

Default rank <50 posts
Hunter
3   0
Reaction score
I just bought my first otf dual action knife it is a Delta Force recon..
I reside in Georgia now as far as I studied as long as the knife isnt longer than 12 inches it is legal to open and conceal carry the knife without a weapons permit the handle is 5. 1/2 inches and when open it is 9 inches
But I would love feed back on any laws regarding Georgia about otf knives also I'm 22 years of age ..

It’s legal, dude. Carry on.

Never hurts to have a weapons carry license. May cut down on issues from uneducated police officers. They don’t always know the law. I pick their brains when I get the opportunity and it’s scary what some of them think is the law.

^^^ This.

From what I remember there were some regulations about what you could carry with and without a license. There are probably a ton of cops that still have that in their heads.

No carry permit needed.

State preemption of local city and county laws regarding defensive knives.

But, without a GWL, there are more places off limits to you. Not because it's a knife, but because you don't have a weapons carry license.

On school property, for example. A permit holder could keep a gun or knife locked in the vehicle while they walk unarmed around campus. But without the carry permit, you had better not even drive your vehicle onto one parking lot or one driveway at any school or college anywhere in Georgia.

If you're a GWL holder & you break the school weapons law, it's just a misdemeanor. But it would be a felony with 10 years in prison as a possible sentence if you are not a carry permit holder.

I carry my folder on campuses all the time. I was only asked about it once and I said to the school employee that it’s a tool, not a weapon. I need it to cut open the boxes to install their A/V systems...it’s got tape and cardboard residue on it...if I ever get someone else’s DNA on it, then and only then is it a weapon. A guy once brought a hammer into a Lilburn elementary school and buried it into a little girl’s head. It was a tool, until it became a weapon.

But it all comes down to the arresting officers opinion, not mine...lol

A lot of local governments have ordinances on what kind of knife you can carry and how.

Despite state preemption, local PD still tend to enforce the local law.

We had a local state court judge, who happened to be a former Chief of Police. and he would get visibly agitated because the local PD kept charging working class guys with carrying a concealed weapon for having a sheath knife on their belt.

Where it really got fun was when the local LEO would use the concealed weapon charge to justify a search of a vehicle. I don't like to pick on LEO (too much), but you could see the gears turning and the perplexed look on their faces when the judge tried to explain that you can't use conduct that's not a crime as probable cause for a search, no matter what you find.

He was on the bench 20 years, and the word never trickled down.

Just another example of the incomplete training that LEO get before they are sent out on the street.

Several years ago, box cutters came into vogue to replace straight razors. We had one crazy who seriously messed up three women (I think) with a box cutter. I remember well because he used it his job, and at the time, carrying one didn't raise any suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom