• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Info on solar setup.

lokidogg

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Fallen!
41   0
Reaction score
I have an aims puresine 2500 watt inverter and 1500 watts of panels with 6 batteries on a 24 volt system. It is a grid tie and when my batteries run down after a couple of days if shade the grid trip to recharge doesn't come on. Can anyone help and give me more info on how I can improve upon my system.

An inverter is usually sized for peak demand. So a 2500 watt inverter should be good for loads that require about 20 amps or less at 120 volts.

Your battery pack should be sized based on average daily load and how many days of backup power you want to have. For example: If your average daily power requirements was 5 amps at 115 volts for 12 hours a day. You would need a battery pack that could provide about 7200 watt-hrs for every day you wanted it to provide power with no recharging. Note - Some types of battery types provide for greater discharge % than others. That has to be taken in to consideration.

Your solar panels need to be sized based on your battery pack size, how fast do you want the batteries recharged, and your assumption for average charging hrs per day. Peak output from a panel is probably only achievable a few hours a day even under clear skies. Also, you probably want the solar panels to meet your daily power requirements while recharging your batteries. Of course this is only critical when the grid is down and you really, really need it. While the grid is up, you can recharge batteries with grid power.
For example: Solar Panel Capacity assuming 80% Available rating and capacity to meet daily use and recharge battery from zero to 100% in 3 days assuming 5-hrs a day of peak sunshine charging - You would need about 4000 watt rated solar panel matrix.

Don't forget to consider cloudy days back-to-back when sizing your battery pack and solar panels.

For a quick fix of your recharging issue - The grid trip doesn't switch because it is setup to monitor the grid and sees the grid has power. Auto recharging of the batteries should be based on sensing battery voltage. It sounds like you may want to review exactly how your system is wired up.

It can be very dangerous if your system tries to power the grid especially if the grid is already powered. The grid will win the tug of war in a spectacular fashion.

As a disclaimer - The assumptions, estimates, etc., may be totally inaccurate and should not be used as a basis for modification of an existing system or as the basis of a new one, and these systems can be very dangerous and even deadly.

An inverter is usually sized for peak demand. So a 2500 watt inverter should be good for loads that require about 20 amps or less at 120 volts.

Your battery pack should be sized based on average daily load and how many days of backup power you want to have. For example: If your average daily power requirements was 5 amps at 115 volts for 12 hours a day. You would need a battery pack that could provide about 7200 watt-hrs for every day you wanted it to provide power with no recharging. Note - Some types of battery types provide for greater discharge % than others. That has to be taken in to consideration.

Your solar panels need to be sized based on your battery pack size, how fast do you want the batteries recharged, and your assumption for average charging hrs per day. Peak output from a panel is probably only achievable a few hours a day even under clear skies. Also, you probably want the solar panels to meet your daily power requirements while recharging your batteries. Of course this is only critical when the grid is down and you really, really need it. While the grid is up, you can recharge batteries with grid power.
For example: Solar Panel Capacity assuming 80% Available rating and capacity to meet daily use and recharge battery from zero to 100% in 3 days assuming 5-hrs a day of peak sunshine charging - You would need about 4000 watt rated solar panel matrix.

Don't forget to consider cloudy days back-to-back when sizing your battery pack and solar panels.

For a quick fix of your recharging issue - The grid trip doesn't switch because it is setup to monitor the grid and sees the grid has power. Auto recharging of the batteries should be based on sensing battery voltage. It sounds like you may want to review exactly how your system is wired up.

It can be very dangerous if your system tries to power the grid especially if the grid is already powered. The grid will win the tug of war in a spectacular fashion.

As a disclaimer - The assumptions, estimates, etc., may be totally inaccurate and should not be used as a basis for modification of an existing system or as the basis of a new one, and these systems can be very dangerous and even deadly.

I went over with a fine tooth comb. The charge control allows for only pv charge. My inverter does the sensor for grid trip. My whole system shuts down before a grid charge. It in theory should change from grid when insufficient battery voltage is detected but pv overrides it. No clue as to why. Have called mfg and get a run around.

Sounds like you know your stuff.
Are you in the solar business or just been through the paces setting up your own system?

Sounds like you know your stuff.
Are you in the solar business or just been through the paces setting up your own system?

I know a little about electricity, and I looked into getting a system for Grid Down SHTF. It was so expensive, not to mention large, that I couldn't swing it. It's one thing if you're looking at powering a small load for a little while. It is something else if you are going to be powering an entire house for weeks or months. You would need area for the solar panel array. The battery technology you select is a very big deal and is expensive and will eventually need replacing. Some batteries you might end up replacing it in just 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom