• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Inherited guns from TN - Questions

Jerry found the right exception to the general rule about needing an FFL for interstate transfers.
But it sounds like ATF is wrong and is violating the law and exceeding their authority by requiring the beneficiary to be individually named in the will.
The feds must follow state laws and court decisions on who is an "heir" or "beneficiary" of guns in a deceased's estate. And I'd wager that most states DO allow beneficiaries to be named as a class (a clearly identifiable group with specified characteristics).
And of course if you are entitled to a gun thru the laws of "intestate succession," there CANNOT BE A VALID WILL! Intestacy means "died without a will."

That being said, what if the beneficiaries in GA directed the Executor to sell them in TN and distribute the cash the same way the guns were to be distributed?

Similarly, if you and other gun-getting beneficiaries REJECT the bequest, then those guns would be considered part of the "residuary" of the estate? Who would get that? Would those people pay you cash to take a pass on the guns, so they could have them or undertake the task of selling them?

If a gun is listed for sale in GA (on ODT), buy was originally purchased in TN, can you physically take to the LGS/FFL to be transferred to the GA, or does it have to be shipped from TN to a FFL?

Thanks

The gun can be physically delivered to an FFl in Ga. A TN. gunowner in Chattanooga can drive down to Dalton, find a Georgia FFL and complete the transaction.

If it's a long gun, it all can happen in TN at a local FFL.

What has always seemed weird to me about this transaction, is that the seller doesn't have to show that it's his gun or that it he is legally able to possess the gun.

LOOK the only time a crime is committed there has to be a corpus delicti an injured party!!!!! Stop going by state laws that are not law because the go against your RIGHTS!
ARTICLE 6 Paragraph 2

The supremacy clause

All debts contracted and engagements entered into, before the adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary is notwithstanding.

Tim, the general police (law making and law enforcement) power resides in the States, not the federal government.
But the feds have been given the power to regulate interstate commerce. That's specifically in the constitution as an enumerated power.
Congress has passed laws related to the interstate sales of firearms. Guns that have moved or are moving in interstate commerce.
Surely the intestate sales of guns from TN residents to GA residents is a matter that Congress is allowed to regulate under the Commerce Clause (up to the limits found in the 2nd Amendment, Due Process of Law, and other individual rights).

If you bought a gun from a TN resident while you were a GA resident, you had to do it through an FFL dealer. If directly from buyer to seller, it was ILLEGAL.

My sterling mk4 sub machine gun was left to me by friend in Michigan , name in will I sent copy of will, death certificate and executor of estate signed on atf transfer! It went through fine plus no $200 dollar transfer!gun collection was also left to me in will . I brought them home without problem.

Tim, the general police (law making and law enforcement) power resides in the States, not the federal government.
But the feds have been given the power to regulate interstate commerce. That's specifically in the constitution as an enumerated power.
Congress has passed laws related to the interstate sales of firearms. Guns that have moved or are moving in interstate commerce.
Surely the intestate sales of guns from TN residents to GA residents is a matter that Congress is allowed to regulate under the Commerce Clause (up to the limits found in the 2nd Amendment, Due Process of Law, and other individual rights).

If you bought a gun from a TN resident while you were a GA resident, you had to do it through an FFL dealer. If directly from buyer to seller, it was ILLEGAL.
Sorry the constitution is the supreme law of the land! Article 6! & yes the pawn shop dida background check on me too!

Back
Top Bottom