• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing an LSD in a Tundra

Just to be clear, this is just the differential - not the gears.

Correct, which makes this job easy. No reshimming of the pinion for depth. Essentially remove the axles, remove ring and place on new carrier and reinstall. I would strip it all down and do new bearings & seals which it sounds like you’re doing but that’s a $300 job if you’re supplying the parts.

Toyota 10.5", Tundra Nitro Rear Master Install Kit, 5.7L, 2007+
MKT10.5-2.jpg

I am not able to install this myself, so what is a fair price to pay an experienced tech to install an Auburn LSD in my 2007 Toyota Tundra, and who would you recommend in the Athens, GA area?

I will supply the LSD, gear oil, additive, and installation kit.

View attachment 3294261

Book time to R&R your ring and pinion is 9.5 hours. If you're looking at a B&M type place to do it, it's gonna be $90-$125 per hour.

Still gear pattern has to be checked...replacement aftermarket carrier often is slightly different dimensionaly.

Agreed, but the pattern is going to be the pattern if they actually use a dial and reinstall to the original backlash if done correctly. Otherwise you're going to run into NVH issues and likely wear the gear set prematurely. If I'm being honest, unless it's extreme high mileage or has existing problems such as needing a seal, I wouldn't even remove the pinion. Just measure backlash before removing and reinstall to previous specs with as much preload on the drive side as possible. Once a gear set is worn, that's where it wants to ride.

Back
Top Bottom