• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing the Largest 1860 Army Grip Frame on the Vaquero

Try foot for the spring is installed. Full function and clearance between the spring and trigger guard tang is slightly greater than the thickness of a thick cleaning patch. On to modifying the one piece grip from flat spring to coil spring.

DSCN5078.JPG
DSCN5079.JPG

Great progress, all together but the transfer bar and hand and it all works, coil spring conversion completed, one piece grip keyholed for coil spring conversion and found a nice place to hook the new model trigger spring feet on....I used the bear cat locking bolt plunger and spring because though the same diameter, they are shorter and work much better with the converted flat spring uberti trigger guard. Rough, gritty and clunky right now but I'm all in but for the finesse work.

The photos show the keyhole in the grip making room for the coil main spring and its foot. The legs of the trigger spring pulled up and over the center of the one piece grip assembly in order to tension the trigger. The rough but assembled grip and grip frame with the hammer at the ready and the locking bolt fully functional/locking the cylinder in preparation for firing.

DSCN5099.JPG
DSCN5101.JPG
DSCN5102.JPG

its my own goo.....lee liquid alox, rcbs liquid case lube, olive oil, vasoline and pure bees wax, ratio is dump, cook, check to see if its a bit sticky. I use it for muzzleloading bullets and all pistol loads and all rifle loads. works great, and there ain't nothing like a 45 caliber full wad cutter for deer, at about any velocity!

Getting back to it, prepping the grip for three solid points of contact to keep the wood from ever moving. (at the frame, at the bottom of the backstrap and some bedding along the inside curve of the backstrap). And once installed, starting to blend metal to wood.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

its my own goo.....lee liquid alox, rcbs liquid case lube, olive oil, vasoline and pure bees wax, ratio is dump, cook, check to see if its a bit sticky. I use it for muzzleloading bullets and all pistol loads and all rifle loads. works great, and there ain't nothing like a 45 caliber full wad cutter for deer, at about any velocity!

I too make my own bullet lube. I use Moly axle grease and beeswax. Bring it right to the smoky flash point and mix and pour. Load them in my Lyman lube-sizers and good to go.

yep....good grease, even for high velocity is pretty simple to come up with and a durn site less expensive than the concoctions ya get from the big makers.

Back
Top Bottom