• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing the Largest 1860 Army Grip Frame on the Vaquero

With the grip bedded and backstrap approaching 95% its time to finish the trigger guard. Rather than fill the offset front screw hole (offset slightly forward of the matching threaded hole in the bottom of the frame) I decided to use it. That way there is no solder line to show through the bluing of this steel trigger guard. I usually do the opposite on a brass trigger guard as the solder line, if the plug is fitted tight, is very hard to see on brass.

So, fill the hole in the ruger frame with its original 6x40 screw, lock tite and stake the end after filing flush in the cylinder window.

001.JPG

Make the screw head, on the underside, crescent, to additionally lock against rotation when the new 6x48 front screw is installed.

002.JPG

Drill, tap (6x48) the new front screw hole and install the trigger guard. Done.

003.JPG

Functionally, 100% with a consistent trigger measuring about 3 lbs prior to finalizing the location of the legs of the trigger spring. Grip fit and shape is about 90% and the feel is wonderful. Love it for a medium and larger hand, filling without being too big. Plenty of room to wrap around the little finger and the Bisley hammer is low and wide and easy to find.

Probably time to move on to cleaning up the action and shim the space between the locking bolt and trigger.

Not a bad mix coming together well. Bearcat locking bolt plunger and spring (cause its shorter) Ruger frame, Pietta backstrap and Walnut grip With Uberti steel trigger guard.

The barrel, cylinder and grip will be rust blued. For the frame, I'm not sure. It still needs a lot of work to remove the pitting and I like the dull grey that comes with age.....perhaps after polish a simple grey vinegar tarnish to go with the satin black components.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Far enough along its time to finish the wood and set it aside. Final metal adjustments and then blueing.

For now, a couple coats of urethane sprayed on and rubbed in by hand. several more coats like this and then knocked back with 0000 steel wool and buffed with fff compound.....sealed, satin and still feels like wood. just nice straight grain walnut with a neat knot that runs through the bottom front under all the factory brown stain that sanded off.....

002.JPG
003.JPG

Heading towards the finish. Finalized the main spring foot. Finished up filing the trigger guard and back strap to the frame. Started the removal of pitting and blending the mating surfaces to a perfect fit by filing and initial sanding at 100g.

001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG

274E9FFB-71FA-43C5-9ACC-B38D30C9868F.jpeg
Great thread! Very inspiring! I’ve never worked on a Ruger (yet). Just cutting my teeth on an Uberti 1873. Shortened the Barrel and adapted an 1860 brass grip frame from a parts pile that I bought.

Back
Top Bottom