• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Instructor’s notes from Urban Teamwork

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
194   0
Reaction score
-Communications. If you’re gonna work with one or more additional folks, you gotta communicate, and do so effectively. While comms are usually verbal, they can be a look, a gesture, or through physical contact. In order to be effective, your partner has to understand what you are “saying”.

-Everyone has places they go to now and again where they have to be unarmed. You better be able to operate commonly used firearms that are found in whatever areas you frequent. You don’t get much simpler than a S&W Model 10 and a Remington 870, but some folks had trouble with them during the course. Keep in mind, they were surprised that they had to use them; there was no prior warning. It’s more than fine to have a preferred carbine and handgun, I sure do, but you’re not always going to be armed. You may have to take advantage of found or “claimed” firearms. Ya better be able to run ‘em. At a bare minimum, you need to be able to run the guns that your partner/significant other/boogaloo buddy carries. When you go to the range together, swap weapons and take them for a spin.

-Communications.

-Carry a good tourniquet and know how to use it properly. Get trained on this and other relevant medical situations.

-Communications.

-If there is too much going on and you can’t mentally get a grip, simplify it. Work threats from near to far, deal with one threat at a time, don’t go to #2 until you’re done with #1. No more Known Threats? Then, in order, look for Unknowns, Open Doors, Closed Doors, and Windows.

-Communications.

-Keep your plans simple and practice them so that you can implement them under stress. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. I have an automatic plan that is my go-to; Assault the threat. Drive them to the ground. Anchor them when they get there. Beautiful in its simplicity. It’s been my plan since the Marine Corps taught it to me in 1989. Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy. It’s a simple “vertical” plan that is easy to follow......so much so that nowadays it’s instinct.

-Did I mention Communications?

Semper Fi!

As always great info, I think of some of these scenarios we see on the news where there is more than one CCW person present during a shooting and how the ending a lot of times directly relates how well the good guys communicated and cooperated, as well as those examples when they don't and end up with very poor results.

Back
Top Bottom