• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Insurance quote surprise in my car shopping

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I am still flipping back and forth in my car shopping as funds accrue. so last night I did a couple checks to see what insurance would cost for a couple of my choices-

I thought that the Porsche would be pretty expensive, but wanted to see how much more than another Land Cruiser.

The Land Cruiser was considerably higher!

For a 2006 Carrera S or Cayman S, it was around $76 a month for liability, but a 1990 Land Cruiser was $110 a month for liability! No other factors changed. Now, full coverage MAY make the Porsche higher, but I'm not so sure.

Just didn't expect that kind of difference for a car that is holding at $20K+ vs. a SUV that is pricing in the $6K range (I was looking at a JDM diesel, but used the US comp to get a price, so that's it's own consideration.)

Could be based on the amount of damage each could/would cause to another vehicle....... The LR would probably do a lot more damage if it hit something than the Porsche would. Since liability covers what you hit.

This is just a guess.......

A lot of it is the safety of the vehicle and how easy they are to steal. I found out that insuring a BMW 3 series of the same year was cheaper than a Camry, Maxima, & Accord.

For a 2006 Carrera S or Cayman S, it was around $76 a month for liability, but a 1990 Land Cruiser was $110 a month for liability! No other factors changed.

He states it higher for LIABILITY coverage. So it doesn't pay for HIS vehicle. It pays for what he hits. No matter the cost of his vehicle.

Well, the FZJ80 is a friggin tank. I've seen crashes where the 80 had bumper damage and the other car was in pieces or unrecognizable. Heck, a dude out west rolled his due to sheer wind and it flipped like 7 times and was still running and drivable, albeit pretty messed up. Plus, rolling mass is pretty much double that of any Porsche short of the Cayenne..

That would make sense.

The used caymans are pretty cheap too
They don't seem to hold their value
And the cayanne is really cheap to buy

But car insurance is really bizarre , the prices are all over the map
You just have to shop around and you also have to factor in that they are low balling you on the initial quote and after you've had the car inside with them for a year they will jack up the rate .
Auto and health Ins companies do that , start out low and steadily and regularly raise the rates 10% every time the bill gets sent out

I've owned a couple of the diesel 4 runners ,
And while the 1KZT was a great engine , parts were impossible to find , one of mine was missing the starter and I had to pay out the nose to buy one in Australia and have it shipped over here

I would get a RHD unless you can easily swap it to LHD , that would be strange and dangerous to me to have the steering wheel on the wrong side , not worth it just to have a diesel that's a total orphan in the states

They made a lot of LHD diesel Toyotas for the Middle East and South America and if they are 25 years old they are a lot easier to import

For mine I just imported the drivetrain and swapped it out
That way I got the diesel and LHD
Just had to make sure you were buying a non electronic diesel
Which with the 4 runners was easy , the 92-96 runners in the UK were mechanically injected with no computer , the same car that was called the "Surf" had the computer controls

I found a mechanic on a website for Volkswagen diesels that lived in the UK and I would buy the 4 runners on eBay and he would go inspect them and if they ran good I would PayPal him the money , he'd pay for the car , take it to his shop and remove the engine , Trans , t case , and diffs , crate em up .
I gave him the rest of the car in exchange for his work .
And I paid to have the crate shipped here

Now that you can legally import a 25 yr old vehicle , you should be able to find a LHD somewhere and have it imported pretty easy

But after owning a few of em , it's just not worth all that effort just to have a oddball diesel that you can't get parts for and no one knows how to work on
And the mpg wasn't that good , my 4 runners with the 3.0 or 3.4 gets 16 in town and 18 on the interstate and the 1KZT turbodiesel got about 4 mpg better

Was cool to drive a 2 Litre turbodiesel 5 speed though

Back
Top Bottom