• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interested in learning about reloading....

Garrettj79

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
42   0
Reaction score
So I have been kicking around the idea of getting into reloading my own ammo. I have never done it nor even seen it done. I would be a true rookie. I was curious if there was anyone in the Acworth / Woodstock area that had been reloading for a while that would let me watch / help the next time they were going to do it to see if it's something I'd be interested in before I devote a lot of time and money to it.

I bet money someone near the area will be more than willing to assist you.

Read up on the process. It's not rocket science and if you can change your own oil and gap spark plugs or are trainable to do the such you will typically do well.

There is a sticky in this forum that gives a basic overview.

What caliber are you wanting to reload?

I would consider teaching you to reload. I have take on a few students in recent years. I have been reloading since the mid 60s and did commercial reloading for a few years. I have a 30102 zip. You may call me at 770-974-1468. Tomthumb.

I bet money someone near the area will be more than willing to assist you.

Read up on the process. It's not rocket science and if you can change your own oil and gap spark plugs or are trainable to do the such you will typically do well.

There is a sticky in this forum that gives a basic overview.

What caliber are you wanting to reload?

9MM, .308, 5.56, 44 Mag. That's all I own. I try and keep everything in those 4 to keep it simple! I think I found someone below. Appears we're right down the street from one another....

I'd recommend starting with the .44 magnum as it's so costly and the savings much more. It's a straight wall case and will be the easiest to learn on. With carbide dies you really don't need to lube the brass cases. I polish the brass. It seems to smooth the press stroke but some will still dab a bit of lube every so often to keep the press running lickity split.

The necked cases require a bit more effort and steps.

I polish the brass, lube (spray) in loading blocks just for that step, then resize/deprime.

For use in more than one gun or semi-auto use I full length resize the brass.

To get the lube off, I run them through the polisher again then trim to minimum length, trying to keep records on the number of reloads and trimmings for that lot of rifle brass.

Some swear by steel pin/water-cleaner to polish the brass but the pins get stuck in primer anvils if not decapped. I use this method to bulk process thousands of deprimed cases at a time. The pins clean the exposed primer pockets and do a bang up job. The cost is more initially but the pins don't wear out.

Clean up some brass and good luck. It appears you have a mentor with a wealth of experience to absorb.

You will likely have a steep learning curve.

Post up your process as others will learn, be encouraged or discouraged and road bumps you encounter. I'd like to hear your opinion on "berdamned" flash holes when you encounter one and break a pin and crushing primers on military crimped brass... :becky:

Dang it, late to the party.

Good advice on starting off with a straight wall case first.
Do one function at a time, don't get in a hurry, double check everything,... and don't snort the gun powder....

It's rewarding to roll your own, and productive, especially in winter when it gets dark way early.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom