• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting Blood Labs

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
226   0
Reaction score
Trying to get access to my healthcare portal but the doc called yesterday with lab results.

When I lived in Chicago ten years ago, I had terrible numbers, 240 total Cholesterol, LDL over 140, never could get my good cholesterol up, blood enzymes out of whack....I ate a "low fat diet" and exercised twice daily. Lost weight but my labs were consistently bad.

For about a year now, I've been eating very low carbs, but not the processed stuff with cauliflower crusts, almond wheat bread, etc. None of that stuff. I rarely each potatoes, rice or any type of bread. I use butter (about a 1/4 lb a week), full flavored salad dressings, and soft cheeses (goat, feta, bleu).....Basically everything I've been told my entire life to avoid.

I've lost 75 lbs since July 2018. Now my A1C is 5.3, bad cholesterol is 69, total is 123. So what gives? Is it really simply reducing carbs & exercise? The only thing I do different than when I lived in Chicago is diet. I just don't look at fat or calories much at all, just carbs.

Anyone else have this type of dietary change experience in your labs? Should I be skeptical of "common dogma" when it comes to dietary recommendations from the medical field? I went to the American Diabetic Association's website and took a look at their dietary recommendations. I'm convinced that they are trying to sell meds.

Trying to get access to my healthcare portal but the doc called yesterday with lab results.

When I lived in Chicago ten years ago, I had terrible numbers, 240 total Cholesterol, LDL over 140, never could get my good cholesterol up, blood enzymes out of whack....I ate a "low fat diet" and exercised twice daily. Lost weight but my labs were consistently bad.

For about a year now, I've been eating very low carbs, but not the processed stuff with cauliflower crusts, almond wheat bread, etc. None of that stuff. I rarely each potatoes, rice or any type of bread. I use butter (about a 1/4 lb a week), full flavored salad dressings, and soft cheeses (goat, feta, bleu).....Basically everything I've been told my entire life to avoid.

I've lost 75 lbs since July 2018. Now my A1C is 5.3, bad cholesterol is 69, total is 123. So what gives? Is it really simply reducing carbs & exercise? The only thing I do different than when I lived in Chicago is diet. I just don't look at fat or calories much at all, just carbs.

Anyone else have this type of dietary change experience in your labs? Should I be skeptical of "common dogma" when it comes to dietary recommendations from the medical field? I went to the American Diabetic Association's website and took a look at their dietary recommendations. I'm convinced that they are trying to sell meds.

AGreed

I had a drastic change in labs when I went very low carb also and I completely cut out all alcohol. Triglycerides and fatty liver was what made me do it...triglycerides was over 1700.

In 6 months it went down to a little over 100 and my A1C went from 12 something to 6.3. But I've fallen off the wagon a bit and my last lab showed my A1C back around 8 and everything else was still normal range. But I've gained about 10 pounds back from the 17 I lost...I need to change my diet back up again. But I had salad basically 2x a day for about 12 weeks straight and I really can't do that again, it's rough...

I firmly believe everyone's physiology reacts differently. I had dramatic and FAST results in regards to cholesterol by avoiding saturated fat and adding fiber (no supplements). No change in activity. I live on carbs.
Having said that, I'm sure everyone would benefit from avoiding processed 'food'.
If you've found what works for you, don't question success.

I reduced my carbs to no more than 20 grams a day of complex carbs. I use ghee or clarified butter and a little bacon fat to cook with. I don't anything white, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. My rule of thumb is my protein is no bigger than the palm of my hand and the rest is vegetables. I also do Intermittent Fasting, which was no big deal since I rarely ate breakfast anyway.

I have lost 60 lbs since August of last year. I just started a strength training routine this week. Work has been crazy busy and I just didn't have time. I had blood work done a couple months ago and my doctor said if he didn't know better, my results looked like those of an 18 yr old.

So yeah, i agree about the no carbs and higher fat in my diet.

Palmetto, sounds like you on a keto (ish) diet. Wife and I have been on keto for 6 weeks, I am down 22 lbs. I have been cheating with beer, but I have cut way back. Sweets are all keto recipes. She made keto ice cream over brownies last night.

Keto is:
Lots of fats - butter, mayo, avocado
Any protein - bacon, pork, chicken, steak
Lots of crunchy green veggies
Low or no carbs
No regular processed sugar - keto sugars instead
No wine or beer.
No processed white flour - use almond flour instead

You know the food pyramid is all wrong. What we've been told all our lives is based on rather slim science and has been widely debunked.

If you are cutting out carbs you are also probably cutting out a lot of gluten, which could effect your labs.

Back
Top Bottom