• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting day on WMA

Quote: "We have tracked a doe this year at dark, decided to look at daylight. We found the head the hooves and a picked carcass in less than 10 hours.."

This would go to strengthen my point about making a clean kill on the first shot, however, from another point of view if 1 in 10 hunters did what you did it is no wonder that Coyotes are moving east - buffet time.

Not blaming you, and not saying that Coyotes are not a threat because they are, but this was not the gist of my post.

I am very familiar with Coyotes from their activity on our farm in West Texas, (mixed farming including cattle). All I can say is, make the first shot count and if you live in the suburbs like me, bring your outdoor pets inside at night. Sadly, it is the carelessness of pet owners that contribute to the bad rep. that Coyotes have.

As for your picture - what can I say that won't have you chugging Titos and trying to find out where I live :wacko:. On the other hand you could just put me on "Ignore" :thumb:. I'm done with this thread.

I shoot everyone I can,always have, always will.Beat one to death with an axe one time. I have harvested close to 180 deer and only shot 2 more than once.I like one shot kills on game animals Coyotes dont qualify.

Quote: "We have tracked a doe this year at dark, decided to look at daylight. We found the head the hooves and a picked carcass in less than 10 hours.."

This would go to strengthen my point about making a clean kill on the first shot, however, from another point of view if 1 in 10 hunters did what you did it is no wonder that Coyotes are moving east - buffet time.

Not blaming you, and not saying that Coyotes are not a threat because they are, but this was not the gist of my post.

I am very familiar with Coyotes from their activity on our farm in West Texas, (mixed farming including cattle). All I can say is, make the first shot count and if you live in the suburbs like me, bring your outdoor pets inside at night. Sadly, it is the carelessness of pet owners that contribute to the bad rep. that Coyotes have.

As for your picture - what can I say that won't have you chugging Titos and trying to find out where I live :wacko:. On the other hand you could just put me on "Ignore" :thumb:. I'm done with this thread.

Yes it’s my fault the coyotes are moving east... You make several assumptions, flawed assumptions
I didn’t shoot the doe.. It was a nephew on my property. He made a great shot, the deer went 50 yards from where he shot, I didn’t want to push the doe if it was wounded. We backed out.
That was my call to look first thing the next morning..

As for carelessness of pet owners, you are ridiculous.. That I guess contributes to coyote population too?
As for an unethical shot on a coyote.. There is no such thing....

Kind of hard to believe you lived on a mixed cattle ranch in West Texas, and still hold coyotes in such high regard... You know what I mean?.....

I appreciate your observation but can also agree with BIKER13 BIKER13 if we are talking about coyotes specifically.

This was my first encounter with one while hunting small game. I've not experienced the problems they cause to land owners so my animus towards them in the wild is the same with any animal I may encounter out there.

If I owned land, I would probably be taking them out with extreme prejudice to protect my property and those within it. There is a clear difference.

Here's a question, since I was WMA hunting and coyotes are considered a nuisance. Can you really even just gut shot one in the first place legally speaking. I would think an ethical kill and retrieve would be the only way. Say you were being watched by an officer. Food for thought.

Here's a question, since I was WMA hunting and coyotes are considered a nuisance. Can you really even just gut shot one in the first place legally speaking. I would think an ethical kill and retrieve would be the only way. Say you were being watched by an officer. Food for thought.

Georgia has no wanton waste law. You are not required to retrieve anything.

Especially so for vermin. The game warden could be looking over your shoulder and you are not breaking the law.

There are professional hog eradicators in Georgia who shoot dozens of hogs at night and leave them where they lay.

Farmers with crop depredation permits have been gut shooting deer for years. That way they can shoot as many as they want to, without doing the nominal reporting to DNR they are supposed to do.

Some of us think that taking head shots at deer is a lot more unethical than gut shooing a coyote..

coyote on fence.jpg
bring your pets in

Georgia has no wanton waste law. You are not required to retrieve anything.

Especially so for vermin. The game warden could be looking over your shoulder and you are not breaking the law.

There are professional hog eradicators in Georgia who shoot dozens of hogs at night and leave them where they lay.

Farmers with crop depredation permits have been gut shooting deer for years. That way they can shoot as many as they want to, without doing the nominal reporting to DNR they are supposed to do.

Some of us think that taking head shots at deer is a lot more unethical than gut shooing a coyote..
I would double check that wanton waste law you quoted.

Back
Top Bottom