• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting day on WMA

I didn't quote one because there isn't one in Georgia.

Check away.

I will clarify. Georgia has a law that requires you to make a "reasonable effort to retrieve" a game animal. The problem for enforcement is that there is no definition of "reasonable" "effort" or "animal".

If you wound a deer, there is no definition of what is "reasonable" or what is "effort".

Many if not most states require you to retrieve all usable parts of an animal. Georgia does not. In Georgia, it is perfectly legal to cut the antlers off a buck and leave the rest in the woods, or pull the backstraps out of a doe and leave the rest there.

Anyone who has ever been on a dove shoot has seen hunters who will not bust the briars or weeds looking for downed doves.

Same for shooting woodies in a beaver swamp.

I am advised that the same situation exists in NC and TN - maybe other southern states.

Coons are very edible, and it is my impression that all those killed while hunting, either as a targeted species, or target of opportunity, are not retrieved.

I will clarify. Georgia has a law that requires you to make a "reasonable effort to retrieve" a game animal. The problem for enforcement is that there is no definition of "reasonable" "effort" or "animal".

If you wound a deer, there is no definition of what is "reasonable" or what is "effort".

Many if not most states require you to retrieve all usable parts of an animal. Georgia does not. In Georgia, it is perfectly legal to cut the antlers off a buck and leave the rest in the woods, or pull the backstraps out of a doe and leave the rest there.

Anyone who has ever been on a dove shoot has seen hunters who will not bust the briars or weeds looking for downed doves.

Same for shooting woodies in a beaver swamp.
odd I have always tried to get it if I shot it,been lucky.I hate wading creeks naked with my clothes and boots held over my head, we got him though.

odd I have always tried to get it if I shot it,been lucky.I hate wading creeks naked with my clothes and boots held over my head, we got him though.

One of our club members got the bright idea to use .308 Federal Match loads "so he wouldn't tear up so much meat" and they are HP anyway. I tracked that deer for 5 hours, mostly on my hands and knees, turning over one leaf at a time. Found her, then started a "come to Jesus" meeting.

Back
Top Bottom