• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting find on form 1 NFA engravings ruling...

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
So I been asking people on different sites for NFA opinions. So every respected person clearly cited from the NFA handbook that it must be conspicuously placed and wholly unobstructed from plain view. Well, thats requirements for MAKER and MANUFACTURER making NFA firearm. So it clearly states that and we all can agree that engravings must be place where it can be seen. Well, what about SEARS? They are hidden inside the gun. According to the handbook, it would of been subject to the same ruling requirements. What do you guys think? I got a response from a respect person saying "SBR, MG, Suppressors are all different" which isn't true if they were form 1 by individual or form 2 by MFG. Handbook doesn't specifically ruling for each SBR, MG AOW ect...

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-7.pdf

Last edited:
Hmm mine is somewhat hidden. It is engraved around the trigger. Never had anyone say anything when checking for it.

Well under inside the trigger guard isn't really covered. You can flip it upside down and look at it. I am talking about engraving it somewhere hidden where you have to remove item to see it or remove the upper to see it.

So I been asking people on different sites for NFA opinions. So every respected person clearly cited from the NFA handbook that it must be conspicuously placed and wholly unobstructed from plain view. Well, thats requirements for MAKER and MANUFACTURER making NFA firearm. So it clearly states that and we all can agree that engravings must be place where it can be seen. Well, what about SEARS? They are hidden inside the gun. According to the handbook, it would of been subject to the same ruling requirements. What do you guys think? I got a response from a respect person saying "SBR, MG, Suppressors are all different" which isn't true if they were form 1 by individual or form 2 by MFG. Handbook doesn't specifically ruling for each SBR, MG AOW ect...

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-7.pdf

I don't want to be the test case. Do you?

I don't want to be the test case. Do you?

No but I doubt ATF cares unless you were being stupid with your weapon and cops came. If you were just shooting at the range and ATF stops by and ask to see form, they wouldn't care. I doubt ATF agents remember the whole handbook anyways. I bet if I was a test case, Id win.

My HK sear is buried in my trigger pack... Not sure if I could even take it apart without screwing up the pack....

I am sure you can remove it with tools. I think when they mean "wholly unobstructed from plain view", its permanently obstructed from view.

If an ATF asks me to see serial or engrave info on my gun, I can easily show it to them, wouldn't that be the definition of wholly unobstructed from plain view. If I can't, it would be wholly obstructed from view.

I think the ATF is just being reasonable on sear engravings. They know that its impossible to see it unobstructed.

Anything else they want to be able to be seen easily.

Back
Top Bottom