• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Intermediate barrier penetration

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
I’ve been doing intermediate barrier penetration “testing” off and on for over 25 years now. Started in the Corps and LE, then continued it with my students in courses such as Guerrilla Sniper. The great thing about getting my students involved is that it lets me greatly increase the calibers and types of ammunition tested.

An intermediate barrier (IB) is something that you shoot through to hit something on the other side.

I’ve shot a wide selection of automotive windshields, single and double pane residential and commercial glass, doors from commercial earth moving equipment, various thicknesses and ratings of “bulletproof” Lexan, and wire impregnated safety glass (often seen in classroom doors).

The two main issues we are looking at are:
1. The amount of deviation from POA to POI
2. What shape is the bullet in when it impacts the target

Several solid takeaways. Some of these should be fairly obvious, even to the layman, but I’ll include them so that I’m not called to task for NOT including them.

1. The closer to the IB that the target is, the better. This will lessen the amount of deviation. The flip side of that is, depending upon the construction of the IB, the closer the target is, the more issues you will have with spalling. Spalling is secondary fragments broken off the IB by the impact and penetration of the bullet. These fragments will tend to travel perpendicular to the surface of the IB, and not necessarily follow the path of the bullet.

If you are an LE Sniper making a hostage rescue shot, or there is an innocent/non-target in close proximity to the target, you will need to account for spalling. If you make a successful hit on the target, but permanently blind the hostage, that’s a strike against you. Spalling can cause permanent debilitating injuries, or even death.

2. Weight trumps speed. .308’s show less deviation from POA than 6.5 Creedmoor. 6.5 Creedmoor shows less deviation than 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 Grendel shows less deviation than 5.56, etc.

Even amongst a specific caliber, weight will make a difference, even with the loss of velocity. For instance, amongst the Federal Gold Medal Match .308 family, the 168grn SMK @ approximately 2650fps will show more deviation than the 175grn SMK @ approximately 2600fps, and the new 185grn Berger Juggernaut @ approximately 2600fps is markedly better than the 175grn load.

It’s my opinion that 6.5 Creedmoor is not the optimal choice for LE Sniping, due to the increased amount of deviation from POA to POI when encountering IB’s, which is common in that environment. It’s not the worst option an agency could choose, but .308 is a better performer in IB scenarios.

Through an automotive windshield to the headrest, even the 168grn .308 loads will stay within the cranial vault. The 140-147grn 6.5 Creedmoor loads will not reliably do so.

Keeping the bullet the same weight, and increasing velocity, will also lessen the amount of deviation. I plan on doing a test with .308 185grn Berger Juggernaut handloads, running them out of a .300Blk, .308, .30-06, and .300WinMag. I’m very curious how much the difference in MV’s will effect the POI shift.

3. Bullet weight is only important if it’s got enough velocity to back it up. The worst round that I’ve tested so far was a .300Blk 220grn SMK at approximately 980fps. The heaviest bullet in my .30 caliber loads, but the slowest by far. Even 55grn 5.56 outperforms it when it comes to deviation.

4. In windshield testing, when fired straight on, bullets will tend to try and follow a path that is more perpendicular to the surface of the windshield, i.e., they will strike low. This is not always true, and it’s not repeatable enough to be trustworthy. What I mean is that it can’t be reliably accounted for like one can account for the POI shift when shooting with and without a good suppressor.

5. Within reason, bullet design is not as important as the weight of the bullet. Most of my Guerrilla Sniper students run carbines and rifles in 5.56, with bullet weights ranging from 55grns to 77grns. In regards to the amount of deviation after penetrating the IB, a 55grn M193 and a 55grn Hornady TAP Barrier Penetrator show approximately the same amount of deviation. So, what’s the difference in the two bullets? The Barrier Penetrator round is of a more rugged design and will stay together better, which aids greatly in terminal ballistics.

I’m trying to find out at what point does weight trump velocity, or vice versa. I will be running some very heavy, but slow, rounds like 240grn and 300grn Gold Dots out of a .444 Marlin.

Normally I place the targets in the front seat, but out of curiosity I placed this one in the backseat of a 4-door Honda Accord. This approximately doubles the distance from the windshield to the target.

Both shots were taken by me, using an 18” bolt action .308, 1:8” twist, with a Silencerco Omega can. Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 185grn Berger Juggernaut.

On both targets, the small red X shows my POA. Due to glare on the windshield, as well as the surface dirt, I had to find a solid aiming point, and they weren’t always what I preferred. However, as long as I know what my POA was, I can study the shift in POI.

In this first pic it looks like the meplat flattened and/or deformed, but that bullet flew straight and hadn’t yet tumbled or yawed. POI shift was very minimal and I would call this a “good shot”. You can see some very minor spalling.
A3991BF7-3DB5-43D2-B269-E737FC4265A5.jpeg

In this second pic, it is obvious where the bullet (circled in red) mushroomed and began to tumble. This caused a greater shift in POI than the shot above. POI shift was just over an inch, and the bullet striking sideways would result in greatly decreased penetration. Also notice that there is much more spalling present on this target. The large, jagged hole below the POI is evidence of a single good-sized piece of windshield.
92E5D014-C0F3-4584-96C6-C80753CD4550.jpeg

This same round, when fired at a target in the front seat, has so far exhibited no signs of tumbling or yawing, and very minimal POI shift.

Re #4 maybe the angled glass is bending your line of sight some too. Like shooting fish with a bow and arrow. The arrow goes straight but you have to hold over to account for the light bending at the surface

Re #4 maybe the angled glass is bending your line of sight some too. Like shooting fish with a bow and arrow. The arrow goes straight but you have to hold over to account for the light bending at the surface

If that were true, then you would have a similar issue when looking from the inside out. It would cause hell with parking!

Bonded ammo is good for this or does weight still retain the bigger factor

Yep, bonded core is a plus, when comparing bullets of the same caliber, weight, and velocity. If I had my choice between two different loads in the same caliber, same bullet weight, same velocity, and one was bonded core, I would choose the bonded core if IB penetration was what I needed. Otherwise, bonded core bullets don’t tend to exhibit the accuracy of other bullet designs. That is not to say that they can’t be accurate, and they can be accurate enough for the task you have in mind.

When comparing apples to oranges, weight trumps bullet design.....within reason.

A 64grn bonded-core 5.56 will not do as well as a 130grn BTHP 6.5 Grendel in terms of POI shift, for example. What you get with the bonded core is a bullet that stays in one solid piece, or most of one. If a jacket and core separate, that will cause definite issues with POI shift as you have multiple projectiles now. If a bullet is fragile enough to greatly deform, but still stay together, it will tend to exhibit a greater POI shift.

The Sierra MatchKing is a relatively fragile bullet; thin jacket, standard lead core, no mechanical or molecular bonding of the two. In a .308, in the 168 and 175grn varieties, they stay well within the cranial vault when shot through the windshield with a target on the headrest of the front seat. They don’t exhibit tumbling or yawing in that distance.

I’ve been doing intermediate barrier penetration “testing” off and on for over 25 years now. Started in the Corps and LE, then continued it with my students in courses such as Guerrilla Sniper. The great thing about getting my students involved is that it lets me greatly increase the calibers and types of ammunition tested.

An intermediate barrier (IB) is something that you shoot through to hit something on the other side.

I’ve shot a wide selection of automotive windshields, single and double pane residential and commercial glass, doors from commercial earth moving equipment, various thicknesses and ratings of “bulletproof” Lexan, and wire impregnated safety glass (often seen in classroom doors).

The two main issues we are looking at are:
1. The amount of deviation from POA to POI
2. What shape is the bullet in when it impacts the target

Several solid takeaways. Some of these should be fairly obvious, even to the layman, but I’ll include them so that I’m not called to task for NOT including them.

1. The closer to the IB that the target is, the better. This will lessen the amount of deviation. The flip side of that is, depending upon the construction of the IB, the closer the target is, the more issues you will have with spalling. Spalling is secondary fragments broken off the IB by the impact and penetration of the bullet. These fragments will tend to travel perpendicular to the surface of the IB, and not necessarily follow the path of the bullet.

If you are an LE Sniper making a hostage rescue shot, or there is an innocent/non-target in close proximity to the target, you will need to account for spalling. If you make a successful hit on the target, but permanently blind the hostage, that’s a strike against you. Spalling can cause permanent debilitating injuries, or even death.

2. Weight trumps speed. .308’s show less deviation from POA than 6.5 Creedmoor. 6.5 Creedmoor shows less deviation than 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 Grendel shows less deviation than 5.56, etc.

Even amongst a specific caliber, weight will make a difference, even with the loss of velocity. For instance, amongst the Federal Gold Medal Match .308 family, the 168grn SMK @ approximately 2650fps will show more deviation than the 175grn SMK @ approximately 2600fps, and the new 185grn Berger Juggernaut @ approximately 2600fps is markedly better than the 175grn load.

It’s my opinion that 6.5 Creedmoor is not the optimal choice for LE Sniping, due to the increased amount of deviation from POA to POI when encountering IB’s, which is common in that environment. It’s not the worst option an agency could choose, but .308 is a better performer in IB scenarios.

Through an automotive windshield to the headrest, even the 168grn .308 loads will stay within the cranial vault. The 140-147grn 6.5 Creedmoor loads will not reliably do so.

Keeping the bullet the same weight, and increasing velocity, will also lessen the amount of deviation. I plan on doing a test with .308 185grn Berger Juggernaut handloads, running them out of a .300Blk, .308, .30-06, and .300WinMag. I’m very curious how much the difference in MV’s will effect the POI shift.

3. Bullet weight is only important if it’s got enough velocity to back it up. The worst round that I’ve tested so far was a .300Blk 220grn SMK at approximately 980fps. The heaviest bullet in my .30 caliber loads, but the slowest by far. Even 55grn 5.56 outperforms it when it comes to deviation.

4. In windshield testing, when fired straight on, bullets will tend to try and follow a path that is more perpendicular to the surface of the windshield, i.e., they will strike low. This is not always true, and it’s not repeatable enough to be trustworthy. What I mean is that it can’t be reliably accounted for like one can account for the POI shift when shooting with and without a good suppressor.

5. Within reason, bullet design is not as important as the weight of the bullet. Most of my Guerrilla Sniper students run carbines and rifles in 5.56, with bullet weights ranging from 55grns to 77grns. In regards to the amount of deviation after penetrating the IB, a 55grn M193 and a 55grn Hornady TAP Barrier Penetrator show approximately the same amount of deviation. So, what’s the difference in the two bullets? The Barrier Penetrator round is of a more rugged design and will stay together better, which aids greatly in terminal ballistics.

I’m trying to find out at what point does weight trump velocity, or vice versa. I will be running some very heavy, but slow, rounds like 240grn and 300grn Gold Dots out of a .444 Marlin.

Have ya tried similar tests with pistol calibers? I assume the same principle of bonded heavier pistol caliber bullets would perform better than lighter faster bullets.

I think I read somewhere that 357 sig bonded ammo performed better through car doors and glass than 9mm rounds of the same weight but slower speed.

Back
Top Bottom