• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interviewer: So, tell me what you did in the military…

Ahhhh......drunk PT. Downwind from all the sweated out booze and BO and chow hall food farts. Can't beat it. Seeing guys wretching their guts out in the ditch and getting yelled at to "get back in formation", and "Why aren't you singing cadence?!"

Like Palmetto said.....Seeing the most unlikely of folks (2 pack a dayers and career alcoholics) totally smoke EVERYONE on PT mornings and PT tests.

Wait in line to buy my $1.10 a carton Marlboro
When I was stationed in S. Korea, we had Korean barracks workers we called Ajumma for older women, and Ajushi for men. We each paid them $25/month to do our laundry, clean our rooms, and shine our boots. Hell of a deal and they were always really nice people. Every couple weeks Ajumma would come to one of us and ask us to buy them Marlboros at the PX. On occasion Ajushi woould ask for 3 or 4 cartons. They always tried to give us money, but some of the guys wouldn’t take their money.

keith089 keith089 --
I don't think i have ever met anyone that has heard of johnson island much less been there -
i was there '54 -'55, when we in final approach it looked like we were landing on a carries -
just a lump of sand with some buildings and a strip - no taxiway had to turn around at the end of the strip -
spent a few days there changing a couple engines --
flew into all of them in the 80s and 90s. Kwajalein is my favorite.

When I was stationed in S. Korea, we had Korean barracks workers we called Ajumma for older women, and Ajushi for men. We each paid them $25/month to do our laundry, clean our rooms, and shine our boots. Hell of a deal and they were always really nice people. Every couple weeks Ajumma would come to one of us and ask us to buy them Marlboros at the PX. On occasion Ajushi woould ask for 3 or 4 cartons. They always tried to give us money, but some of the guys wouldn’t take their money.
In Bangkok for R&R we paid the taxi driver in brass shells and a Marlboro Carton..He would be our driver for 4 days and supplied anything and I mean anything we wanted..It was the only R&R place we went that had pools in the motels..

Drank Camp Lejeune water for 2 years, drank warm beer , smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes, played poker, dodged a few rockets and mortars...looked forward to care packages from the world, drank a ton of Kool Aid flavored water and hated the the John Wayne crackers in the C-rats....and the Agent Orange showers...but lived it share and share alike with some of the finest guys that ever lived.

Back
Top Bottom