• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Introduction to the AR, March 17-18, Aragon GA

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Precision Applications, LLC will be holding an Introduction to the AR course in Aragon GA on March 17-18, 2018.

Both days will start at 0800hrs EST and run until approximately 1700hrs EST, with a 1 hour break for lunch.

This course is designed for the shooter that is a novice to the AR platform; no previous skill or experience is necessary. It is also an excellent refresher for those that haven't delved into the AR platform in a while.

I have set this course up as a 1- or 2-day course. You can take 1 or both days. The cost will be $200 for the 1-day, or $350 for both days. I accept cash, checks, money orders and PayPal (students cover the PayPal fees). Payment in advance is required to guarantee your spot.

The course is set up so that Day 2 immediately builds upon what was taught on Day 1.

Day 1 (March 17) topics:
-Nomenclature and functioning, to include aftermarket accessories, upgrades, magazines, ammo, etc.
-Cleaning, care and maintenance
-Range safety and safe handling
-Fundamentals of marksmanship
-Loading & unloading
-Zeroing with both iron sights (fixed or backups) and optics
-Shooting from various ready positions
-Basic use of cover
-Basic reload
-Clearing a simple malfunction

Day 2 (March 18) topics
-Combat Mindset
-Transitions to secondary weapon (handgun)
-Shooting while moving
-Pivots and offline movement
-Multiple target engagement
-Intermediate use of cover techniques
-Clearing more "complicated" malfunctions
-Introduction to the Tactical Carbine Course

Day 1 gear list:
AR rifle or carbine, any centerfire caliber
300 rounds of ammunition
Minimum 6 magazines
Pouch or other method to carry at least 1 magazine on your person for an immediate reload
Sling
Eye and ear protection
Ball cap or other hat with at least a front brim on it

Day 2 gear list:
Same as above, with the addition of:
Handgun (revolver or semi-automatic) with holster
Minimum of 1 handgun reload on person
50 rounds of handgun ammunition
500rds of additional AR ammo
5 dummy rounds or snap caps in your AR caliber

* A word on ammunition counts. I always ask students to bring more ammo than I think you will need. Better to have too much and take some home than to run out partway through the day!

Dress appropriately for the weather, whatever it will be. Comfortable attire and shoes/boots are a must. Bring plenty of water.

Lunch will be provided on the range, as an option, and will consist of freshly smoked pulled pork, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert for an additional cost of $15 on Day 1. Lunch for Day 2 will be a burger with all the fixings, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert for $15. Lunch must be requested and paid for when you pay for the course. If you do not wish to purchase lunch, I recommend that you pack a lunch as there are few options in the area.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any comments, questions or concerns.

Semper Fi!
Shep

AR's are an awesome weapon, and so many of today's tactical shooting matches and games are set up specifically for that one type of long gun. It's a big disadvantage to bring anything else to a tactical match, 3-gun shoot, etc.
Shep knows AR's in and out, and he can run 'em like nobody's bizness.

From what I saw in the competency based course last week, there are a number of tips and tricks Shep can show you to both make you faster and safer (if you ever have to use your weapon at a two-way range, where the targets shoot back!). Even if you only want to run an AR in shooting games that merely simulate combat, there are techniques that can shave a faction of a second off your presentation of the weapon, and another fraction of a second off your time to dump 5 or 10 rounds downrange, and a good half-second off your magazine swap times... it all adds up.

AR's are an awesome weapon, and so many of today's tactical shooting matches and games are set up specifically for that one type of long gun. It's a big disadvantage to bring anything else to a tactical match, 3-gun shoot, etc.
Shep knows AR's in and out, and he can run 'em like nobody's bizness.

From what I saw in the competency based course last week, there are a number of tips and tricks Shep can show you to both make you faster and safer (if you ever have to use your weapon at a two-way range, where the targets shoot back!). Even if you only want to run an AR in shooting games that merely simulate combat, there are techniques that can shave a faction of a second off your presentation of the weapon, and another fraction of a second off your time to dump 5 or 10 rounds downrange, and a good half-second off your magazine swap times... it all adds up.

Thanks, Kurt

41B98BE1-D956-443F-833D-762831B65152.jpeg
8D2F4E55-9B14-47C0-AFC8-2E44B78CF41C.jpeg
448ECBF9-F1DB-496A-84EB-5749051351A6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom