• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is .357 Sig awesome or awful?

Here is a test of .357, .40, 9mm, and .45 shot through multiple aluminum panels 1/8 inch thick:

.357 won hands down

Surprises me about the .45 thought it would do better.
.357 is much of a sharper recoil although it doesn't buck in you hand too much. Definitely tell it's a hotter round than the .40

I have all three barrels for all three of my Sigs. Now I need a few 9mm mags for my 226

Not surprising given bullet composition is similar for all but velocity of the Sig is about 200 FPS more than its closest round, the 9mm. The larger cross section of the larger calibers coupled with lower velocities inhibit penetration on this kind of material. One thing you have to keep in mind is that a change in projectile or load for any of these cartridges can have a noticeable change in performance even on this medium. This test is just the capability of this loading in those cartridges not the cartridge across the spectrum of its loading variations.

.357 Sig is hot. It is LOUD! And does kick, but doesn't seem to twist and jerk quite like the .40 S&W. The Sig recoil does flip more [than .40] in every gun I've shot it in, but comes right back down. The Sig being so fast, it shoots straighter at distance (doesn't drop as much), and thus see pretty good accuracy. This round is DEFINITELY NOT for the recoil averse or week in the hands.

As for reliability, test your pistol for reliability; Sig Sauer is the best bet. Glocks have a good track record, as well. The necked-down cartridge can make magazine feeding unreliable after the first few rounds. (Can't get my 1911 .357 Sig to feed reliably after 5rnds due to round nose diving in the mag.) The truncated bullet nose can also cause feeding issues. Talk to a competent gunsmith. Sig Sauer obviously has the round working 100% in all their pistols, but have heard/seen issues with their 1911's. (You have to shoot 500 hundred plus rounds through a gun w/o malfunction before you tell me "I'd bet my life on it reliable.".) Haven't heard any "serious" reports of M&P's. CZ Custom has a .357 Sig CZ-75!

As for ballistics, LOVE the .357 Sig! In the gel tests I've conducted and seen online, it actually penetrates equal or slightly less than 9mm. The real benefit is the energy dump! A round that penetrates 12 - 16in in gel, but dumps ~500 ft/lbs of energy in that space? LOVE IT! If you can handle the noise and recoil. The only consideration of defense ammo (hollow points) is that most 9mm bullets aren't designed to go that fast, so some HP's can disintegrate in gel. Check out the YouTube videos on gel tests or conduct some tests or your own (ClearBallistics.com).

As for reloading, gotta be real careful! Per a gunsmith, due to the case neck, crimping can be a big issue. So if the crimp isn't sufficient, the rounds WILL jump out of the cases on recoil.

Let us know how your M&P shoots all those GA Arms rounds!

Love my Glock 33 Gen 4. Real pocket rocket! The Underwood offerings give the best experience overall.

Back
Top Bottom