• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is 9mm in steel/aluminum casing with 124+ grain not a thing?

Gucci Mane

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
hey guys,

Something I've consistently noticed is that aluminum and steel cased 9mm rounds never come in anything that isn't a 115 grain bullet weight. Is there a reason for that?

I'm more curious than anything, although I'm not against trying steel/aluminum cased ammo in my gun, but if I do, 124 grain is my preferred bullet weight

well generally speaking an aluminum/steel ammo (here in the US of A) is likely that because they are trying to sale it as cheap as possible and mostly as range fodder.
so to add a heavier projectile (the costliest part of a handgun bullet) and move powder charge up to plus P levels would require more production cost.
so they load the lighter 115 grain and in a round nose at regular pressure.

BECAUSE its cheap range garbage more than anything and no one in their right mind would run steel out of a can anyhow
Truth be told, I was looking for a more economics-centric explanation like the below:
well generally speaking an aluminum/steel ammo (here in the US of A) is likely that because they are trying to sale it as cheap as possible and mostly as range fodder.
so to add a heavier projectile (the costliest part of a handgun bullet) and move powder charge up to plus P levels would require more production cost.
so they load the lighter 115 grain and in a round nose at regular pressure.
got it! that explained it perfectly to me. Thank you!

I still have a good bit of 124 gr JHP Aluminum case made by Blazer.

Bought a Pawn shop out of it about 10 years ago, down to my last 1k rounds or so.

Nary a hiccup over 5k or so rounds in multiple guns.

I also would like to see cheap range ammo in the same bullet weight, 124 gr., that my primary defensive guns have in them for protection, and which one of them is dighted-in for.

One of these guns gets much better groups with 124 gr. compared to 115 gr.

1.JPG
2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom