• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a blackpowder weapon considered a "firearm?"

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
244   0
Reaction score
I think I know the answer...but let me tell you why I'm asking.

I took my daughter to Kennesaw Mountain this past weekend for Junior Ranger Day. It was a blast for the little ones and getting to learn about history and our origins as a country was icing on the cake for me. There were two different presenters that each had functioning blackpowder rifles. One was a flintlock, the other a percussion mechanism. I didn't think a thing about it.

Well, daughter has to go potty, so we go inside the visitor center and sure enough, there's the big "no glocks" sign with the persuant legalese about this building being a prohibited place. Still didn't think about it.

In the truck on the way home, my daughter pipes up after a few minutes of silence while she's reading through the handbook she just got the park.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, babe...what's up?"

"Back at the park, did you see the no guns sign?"

"Yeah, honey, I saw it."

"Well how come those other guys got to have their guns? That doesn't seem fair."

Like I said, if it would have been a snake, it would have bitten me. A blackpowder rifle is a "firearm" isn't it? So what gives?

As far as I know, similar to the case of shooting powderless ammunition, anything serialized that discharges a projectile in conjunction with a propellant can be considered a firearm.

One was for educational purposes. I would imagine that they are disabled in some form or fashion.

No, not treated as a firearm, unless locally regulated, at least in GA. Walk into any store selling BP weapons, pay the money, walk out.

Under North Carolina law, for example, a black powder muzzleloader is considered an antique firearm and does not fall under current Federal purchase laws: Any replica of any firearm described in subdivision (1) of this subsection if the replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition. Any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

Yah i don't think they are. I know you can buy a suppressed one with no paperwork. There was actually a story i read last year where a convicted felon actually bought a reproduction cap and ball pistol and killed a couple folks with it

I think I know the answer...but let me tell you why I'm asking.

I took my daughter to Kennesaw Mountain this past weekend for Junior Ranger Day. It was a blast for the little ones and getting to learn about history and our origins as a country was icing on the cake for me. There were two different presenters that each had functioning blackpowder rifles. One was a flintlock, the other a percussion mechanism. I didn't think a thing about it.

Well, daughter has to go potty, so we go inside the visitor center and sure enough, there's the big "no glocks" sign with the persuant legalese about this building being a prohibited place. Still didn't think about it.

In the truck on the way home, my daughter pipes up after a few minutes of silence while she's reading through the handbook she just got the park.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, babe...what's up?"

"Back at the park, did you see the no guns sign?"

"Yeah, honey, I saw it."

"Well how come those other guys got to have their guns? That doesn't seem fair."

Like I said, if it would have been a snake, it would have bitten me. A blackpowder rifle is a "firearm" isn't it? So what gives?

Not considered a firearm in most of the USA.

Back
Top Bottom