• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it even possible to get your child their first vehicle for a few thousand dollars?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Swimming through the sewer of scammers on Craigslist is frustrating. Like this idiot!

Hi,

I'm emailing you regarding the 2005 Toyota Corolla S that I have for sale. It is in perfect condition, with no need for any additional repairs. Flawless exterior condition, no scratches and no dents. It has never been involved in an accident. The interior is in very good condition, also the exterior. No accidents, Clear Title, great mileage: 84.453 and Automatic Transmission. The price for the car is $1,000(including free delivery and handling to your address).
I'm selling this car because my child of only 26 years died 2 months ago in a bike accident, the car belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. "real tear jerker of a story for effect"
Make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program.

Follow up from Alice Hudson?
Hi again,

The car is stored with all the paperwork in eBay warehouse number 16,in San Jose,CA headquarters in container,sealed and ready for delivery. The transaction will be made thru eBay because they can protect both of us and they also offer 10 days inspection period. You'll have 10 days to test/drive the car before decided to keep it or not. If the vehicle is not like I described you'll ship it back on my expense and they will give you a full refund. eBay will hold the funds until you receive the car with all the papers work. Only after you confirm them that you wanna keep it they will release me the funds. In this way you will be able to inspect the vehicle before committing to buy it.
Thank you!

Then there are the not so honest private citizens who place n ad that says the vehicle has no mechanical problems. Talk to the guy and then make the drive 40 miles south to FL. Get there and fire it up and the engine has obvious bearing noise and the guy tells me "it's been doing that since I bought it 3yrs ago". Ok jackass I pass and thanks for wasting my time.

Some people's children are complete idiots!
cleardot.gif

So funny... I was looking a great deal on CraigsList on Friday.... Here was their reply...

Hello ,

The 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Is still available. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages,never been involved in any kind of accidents, no problems with 57k miles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES. I'm selling it at this final price $3,000 because my husband died 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go. If you are interested in buying my truck, feel free to email me at any time. Here is a photo gallery with my truck: http://imgur.com/a/N3W0M
Best regards

I replied for more info....

Response...

Hello again,

As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved to another city. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the truck. The truck is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the truck! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the truck. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name and address
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you,

My reply...

Nope...
If I can't see and drive the vehicle before money leaves my hand...No Deal
Thanks

So funny... I was looking a great deal on CraigsList on Friday.... Here was their reply...

Hello ,

The 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Is still available. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages,never been involved in any kind of accidents, no problems with 57k miles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES. I'm selling it at this final price $3,000 because my husband died 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so, this truck has to go. If you are interested in buying my truck, feel free to email me at any time. Here is a photo gallery with my truck: http://imgur.com/a/N3W0M
Best regards

I replied for more info....

Response...

Hello again,

As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved to another city. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the truck. The truck is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the truck! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the truck. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name and address
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you,

My reply...

Nope...
If I can't see and drive the vehicle before money leaves my hand...No Deal
Thanks

You were nicer than I was. Here's my response:

Ebay never gets involved in Craigslist deals and has no warehouse!

Nice try scammer!
cleardot.gif

Either you go see @Labowski or @Northgagunman and take your pick from their ample selection ( they have a Windstar newer than mine for way cheap and a Hyundai Accent even cheaper) or you find an auction where the city/county/state vehicles go through. If you're willing to ride to middle GA then T Lynn Davis is your best bet. Plenty of late model Crown Vic cop cars going through there every week. Not to mention every other public service type vehicle.

lol 2 of my last three personal cars cost about a grand. Then I splurged and dropped 4K on a truck. Of course I put my wife in the big money mobile. We dropped 10k on that one. That's over the last 13 years. And no I don't spend a fortune working on them. I just refuse to finance a car and my pockets aren't deep enough to buy anything nicer for cash, so I drive what I can pay for.

In relation to the scammers. They aren't that hard to filter out. If you see a car listed for less than half its value, don't click it. Problem solved.

The answer to your questions is yes.... but as you've seen... you have to kiss a LOT of frogs.
What is your budget and what do you want?

Her budget at the ripe old age of 17 is $3000. Dependable, reliable and safe top the list of must haves. Working A/C would be nice but not R12 system.
There are lots of frogs as you say. I looked at an Integra that was actually a nice car for a 96 but the guy failed to mention the check engine light stayed on. He claimed it was an O2 sensor.

The answer to your questions is yes.... but as you've seen... you have to kiss a LOT of frogs.
What is your budget and what do you want?[/QUOTE
You reminded me of my last tour of duty in the car bidness in 2011. The national closing average was 1 in 6. That meant you had to talk to 5 jerkoffs before you got 1 real buyer. And believe me... there are WAY more jerkoffs than that.

Back
Top Bottom