• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it just me? Veterans Day.

ponyboy96

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
I just never know what to say when someone says to me thank you for your service. While I appreciate the sentiment, I just feel like others did so much more than I did. I usually just say thanks and move on. The discounts and such are nice when offered, but I never ask.

I don’t wear all the veteran stuff. Not that I’m not proud of what I did, I just don’t feel the need to advertise it. My wife had me get the flag on my license and get the veteran tag, which I didn’t really want to do. Idk. My unit was more the silent professional type. We didn’t advertise. I guess that carried over. Maybe it’s just me. Idk.

I am a veteran. I got deployed and all that. I wasn’t a POG.

1. Always be gracious to other folks who compliment you, or are nice to you.
2. I usually say something like "I appreciate it, but I enjoyed my time in the service. It was fun. And I got more out of it than I put in, so no thanks required"

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Actually, I don't feel like a veteran. I still feel like I'm capable of being a combatant :)

You’re a real man. You don’t need others to be confident in yourself. Keep doing what you’re doing, God knows America can use more like us. God bless.

1. Always be gracious to other folks who compliment you, or are nice to you.
2. I usually say something like "I appreciate it, but I enjoyed my time in the service. It was fun. And I got more out of it than I put in, so no thanks required"

Anyway, that's my opinion.
Actually, I don't feel like a veteran. I still feel like I'm capable of being a combatant :)

My response almost verbatim. When offered a discount (usually when they see my USAA card because I dont wear the I'm a veteran uniform) I tell them to give my discount as an extra to a veteran that got wounded. If they insist I say thank you.

I just never know what to say when someone says to me thank you for your service. While I appreciate the sentiment, I just feel like others did so much more than I did. I usually just say thanks and move on. The discounts and such are nice when offered, but I never ask.

I don’t wear all the veteran stuff. Not that I’m not proud of what I did, I just don’t feel the need to advertise it. My wife had me get the flag on my license and get the veteran tag, which I didn’t really want to do. Idk. My unit was more the silent professional type. We didn’t advertise. I guess that carried over. Maybe it’s just me. Idk.

Yeah, I wear a camouflage Fitted hat with like 15 medals I earned while in uniform. My son got it for me because all the ****, I would get from vendors at gun shows asking me if I were illegal or not. But, once the vendors see that your a veteran they don't ask crazy questions. I don't wear the hat anymore because , everyone knows my face now. I don't even stand or take any discounts when offered now, I just don't think I did anything special like those guys who have PTSD, or Lost Limbs. It kills me to see those guys at the VS HOSPITAL!

I tell them that I enjoyed it and I am thankful for being able to do it. Best thing that ever happened to me. The pog comment wasn't necessary. Your service isn't defined by your MOS.

Back
Top Bottom