• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it legal for a company to require me to surrender my GA DL to gain entry?

Capt, it's not your choice whether you will or will not comply with a company's policy when you enter someone else's property. You can choose to walk away, but a business has a right to know who enters their property. The security officer ("rent-a-cop") is just following orders.

If a city/utility worker wanted access to your property you'd ask to see their ID, would you not?
its not about showing ID, i dont think he wants the rent a cop earning 8 an hour to hold onto his ID while he works

Capt, it's not your choice whether you will or will not comply with a company's policy when you enter someone else's property. You can choose to walk away, but a business has a right to know who enters their property. The security officer ("rent-a-cop") is just following orders.

If a city/utility worker wanted access to your property you'd ask to see their ID, would you not?

See? Sure. Hold? No.

In my experience, a supervisor usually tells the guard to let me by without surrendering my license. I give some line like "EPA regulations stipulate that I have photo ID and certification card on me at all times while handling refrigerant."

Last edited:
See? Sure. Hold? No.

In my experience, a supervisor usually tells the guard to let me by with surrendering my license. I give some line like "EPA regulations stipulate that I have photo ID and certification card on me at all times while handling refrigerant."

I'm sure that is true. Policies differ from company to company. The company where I'm employed has a written policy that is actually enforced. The DL's are secure and security personnel are trained, certified, and background checked.

Usually I've experienced this really when I need mechanical or electrical room keys. Most of the time they just ask to see your id so they "know" who is in the building. I mostly have all badges most places I go to anyways, but still run into incompetent guards some of the time. Most of them get a little authority and think they're saving the world.

We have customers that require that the guards ask for these types of ID, when you are on their property, or industrial sites,
when we come out they give us our ID, and everything is ok, one guard stated this was done because people were leaving the premises without checking out or leaving the property which caused a complete search of the plant and all other areas.

Also helped in control loss of info/product.

It took 30 posts to get to "just following orders?" :tsk:

And please "security officer?" :pound:

Back
Top Bottom