• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it legal to discharge firearms in cherokee county outside of city limits?

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just moved a couple months ago. Currently living in cherokee county but outside of any city limits. Have some decent space and backyard dumps into a bunch of corp property. Assuming I built up a proper backstop would it be legal to plink in the backyard?

Thanks!
Caleb

If you live in a subdivision, NO. Otherwise...maybe. You have to be a certain distance from the road and/or neighboring house. Check your local laws.

I'm in a subdivision in Cherokee county and shoot when ever I want. Most of the home owners have a couple of acres. Did have 2 home owners call the other day wondering if I would let them shoot the full auto weapon they heard me firing off. (it was a bump fire Ruger 10-22)

Look up the actual Cherokee County laws and ordinances on the "municode.com" website.
Do they have an ordinance about shooting, discharging firearms for sport or recreation, setting up a private shooting range, etc?

I don't have time to look carefully through the many laws right now.

I see Cherokee County has a NOISE law, but it's got pretty generous time limits. It only bans excessive noise at night, LATE at night most nights, but earlier on Sundays.

Sec. 26-39. - Prohibited noise.(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make, continue or cause to be made or continued any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise which disturbs the peace or quiet of any neighborhood, or which causes discomfort or annoyance to any reasonable person of normal sensitivity residing within the limits of the county, between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 7:00 a.m. daily, and between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight Saturday) and 1:00 p.m. Sunday. Also, all noises described in this section shall be unlawful after 6:30 p.m. Sunday until 7:00 a.m. Monday.
(b)
The following noises and acts are prohibited and are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises in violation of this article, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exhaustive:

Oh, and if noise were a problem, I'll tell you that silencers can be a solution !!! I own 'em myself and have helped other people get them too.

Last edited:
More of a neighboorhood than a subdivision if that makes sense? Definitely no by laws or HOA. Used municode.com and the only two things that pulled up with firearms were you can't shoot them in a park without express written consent and the other one related to pawnbrokers. Sounds like g2g? Would definitely use a can and probably just plink .22

I live in Cherokee and looked all the rules up when I started shooting here. Don't remember exact specifics.. but I think it's like 50 or maybe 150 feet from any other houses or roads. And as far as noise complaints, once a private range (which is what we all have in our backyards, a range open to certain people through permission only) has been in operation for a year, noise complaints can't be made anymore or something. I live far enough away from people that it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom