• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it legal to discharge firearms in cherokee county outside of city limits?

i just shot today in the back yard using 22 to 30-06, if your neighbors don't complain and you have a good backstop then you might be good

i have a 15 foot hill i fire into and a police officer certified that it was sufficient (the neighbor called me in and the officer sided with me)

In Cherokee county, you can shoot outside of a city limit. My neighbor has 36 acres with two sides of his property in the city limit.....we are in a subdivision. His property is county property. He does get carried away sometimes "shoots a lot" and the subdivision next to him in the city limit will call the city police. They do visit my neighbor just to make sure that he is shooting safely with a proper back stop....which he has, and the police say thank you and leave.
Also my cousin is a detective for Cherokee county, and I have asked him the same question....and he tells me yes you can shoot in the county. Of course please use common sense: shoot away from household, proper back stop, etc, etc.

In Cherokee county, you can shoot outside of a city limit. My neighbor has 36 acres with two sides of his property in the city limit.....we are in a subdivision. His property is county property. He does get carried away sometimes "shoots a lot" and the subdivision next to him in the city limit will call the city police. They do visit my neighbor just to make sure that he is shooting safely with a proper back stop....which he has, and the police say thank you and leave.
Also my cousin is a detective for Cherokee county, and I have asked him the same question....and he tells me yes you can shoot in the county. Of course please use common sense: shoot away from household, proper back stop, etc, etc.

A year or so some busy bodies tried to have a County Ordinance passed to outlaw shooting guns in unincorporated Cherokee County. They failed.

It is absolutely legal to discharge a firearm in unincorporated Cherokee County (outside of city limits). As other have mentioned, don't get within 50 feet of a public road.

Where does the "50 feet" from a public road come from?
Somebody cite the law about that.
State law, which doesn't preempt local laws on the subject of where firearms may be shot recreationally, says 50 YARDS (150 feet) from any public street.
O.C.G.A. 16-11-103.
Does Cherokee County have an ordinance that is stricter than this?
Does the City (if your subdivision is in City limits)?

Back
Top Bottom