• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it legal to discharge firearms in cherokee county outside of city limits?

Where does the "50 feet" from a public road come from?
Somebody cite the law about that.
State law, which doesn't preempt local laws on the subject of where firearms may be shot recreationally, says 50 YARDS (150 feet) from any public street.
O.C.G.A. 16-11-103.
Does Cherokee County have an ordinance that is stricter than this?
Does the City (if your subdivision is in City limits)?
we and a few i shoot with tested this and 150 ft from public road is what they enforce in Cherokee co. we were politely asked to stop and cease action for the future.

In cherokee and shoot in my backyard all the time. I'm near RBGC so not hearing gunfire throughout the day is the exception.

The 50 yard law is fairly well covered in Hunting Safety classes. Interestingly there is nothing illegal about shooting towards a road, so long as you are 50 yards away and have sufficient backstop to prevent the bullets from crossing the road (per the DNR officer I asked). Mine is that way but being 30' elevation drop it would be pretty hard to have an issue.

Based on 1 year complaint issue I recorded the first time I shot at my "home range" (posted it on FB). That way if anyone complains the in future I can pull that back up for verification. There are several large tracts of land owned by neighborhood developers, one day they may build and the city folks get grumpy and try and shut you down.

Back
Top Bottom