• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it stupid to build up an ar pistol before having a rifle?

IMO I think that the amount of money should be based on the amount of use and what you're wanting to use it for. There is a lot of parts that you can spend a lot of money on and not really see or feel. A lot of people make them as light as possible which is fine but if you're not going to be holding it up for long periods spend the money on other things. Trigger is where you will feel the biggest bang for your bucks. I'm not a big fan of quad rails. I think they are uncomfortable and I don't like my riffle to look like the add for tactical'R'us. Pistols are uncomfortable to shoot and hold because you can't shoulder them. and once you get below a 9'' barrel I would just buy a pistol. Again this is my opinion. do a little research and make it for you, and realize that it is hard to sell a AR for what you put into it.

ATF is now OK with owners of AR "pistols" buying butt stocks and rifle-length barrels and configuring the pistols as rifles temporarily, and then returning them to pistol configuration later. Just don't ever have the stock on your pistol lower without also having the 16" or longer barreled upper in place.

Would that be more affordable than buying a second AR rifle?
You'd need a barreled upper, but you could use your same bolt and bolt carrier, your same lower receiver and all its internal parts.
You'd need a stock. Probably two-- I recommend a fixed stock for accuracy, and a cheek pad or raised comb if you'll be using a conventional rifle scope. Then get an M4 stock for the tactical look, easy transport, and training women and kids (folks with shorter arms).

Back
Top Bottom