• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it too early to talk about Blade Show '17?

I always take more time with the small independent makers. Many, if not most of them have travelled a long ways to be there, and have really high quality knives and products. Some of the best deals I've ever scored were from these guys. I like buying knives directly from the guy who made it. Almost all of my dedicated hunting knives were bought over the years from an individual maker. There's nothing like a handmade knife.

I'm interested in these customs. Any names you could recommend? I get there and look around and there are so many that its hard to choose from.

I'm interested in these customs. Any names you could recommend? I get there and look around and there are so many that its hard to choose from.

There are lots of them so the options are endless. I'm only saying that the big brand names that everyone falls all over each other for are not the only options out there, or necessarily the best. I met several guys last year who were just individuals who make excellent quality handmade knives. I do this every year. Last year I met an independent makers from Oregon named Jeff Freeman, ( https://www.freemanoutdoorgear.com) who was a designer for Gerber for 15 years, and now has his own line of customs. I bought a 6.5" "fireman" model that I guarantee will rival anything of it's kind in it's class, and his prices are better than most for what I got.

I also appreciate the various stag handle, mirror finish hunting knives that many of the makers offer. I have quite a few of them, in fact. Marvin Poole is a name many around here will recognize because he is local. (Commerce, I believe, but could be mistaken) This is just my personal taste. If guys want to line up to buy the most popular name brands, that's their choice and I don't blame them, but there is so much out there to see and should not be discarded.

The Freeman I picked up. This knife is amazing.
DSC00301.JPG

And here's a video I found of Jeff showing his knives at last year's Blade.

I also met a guy from Phoenix, Arizona who had some incredible custom knives. I did not buy one, but he left an impression and I have his card around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Another old timer I met was from New Hampshire and he had some beautiful stag handle hunting knives, along with hand tooled sheaths he and his wife hand stitched. Same story, I have his card somewhere. His knives were top shelf quality.

Just a few of the many examples.

In other words, there is something for everyone at Blade. My Dad went with me last year and he bought a Randall knife and a Hamilton 23 jewel pocket watch. LOL He loves those things.

Last year was my first thing at Blade and it was awesome. Planning on going again this year. Hoping to pick up a couple Microtechs and find the elusive Trouble Blades Debt Collector.

I have my ticket but I may not be able to go. I may only have 4 employees in a few days where I need 10.

Last year was my first thing at Blade and it was awesome. Planning on going again this year. Hoping to pick up a couple Microtechs and find the elusive Trouble Blades Debt Collector.

I've been reading about Trouble Blades. Seems they took a bunch of deposits and disappeared. I like that Debt Collector though.

I've been reading about Trouble Blades. Seems they took a bunch of deposits and disappeared. I like that Debt Collector though.
Yeah there was a big hoopla about it on Blade Forums. If you follow their Instagram it looks like they're back making knives and have taken care of some of the old orders. I wouldn't order from them directly until they make good on the old orders but if I could find one second hand for a reasonable price I'd be all over it.

Yeah there was a big hoopla about it on Blade Forums. If you follow their Instagram it looks like they're back making knives and have taken care of some of the old orders. I wouldn't order from them directly until they make good on the old orders but if I could find one second hand for a reasonable price I'd be all over it.

Yeah, that's where I read about them.

There are lots of them so the options are endless. I'm only saying that the big brand names that everyone falls all over each other for are not the only options out there, or necessarily the best. I met several guys last year who were just individuals who make excellent quality handmade knives. I do this every year. Last year I met an independent makers from Oregon named Jeff Freeman, ( https://www.freemanoutdoorgear.com) who was a designer for Gerber for 15 years, and now has his own line of customs. I bought a 6.5" "fireman" model that I guarantee will rival anything of it's kind in it's class, and his prices are better than most for what I got.

I also appreciate the various stag handle, mirror finish hunting knives that many of the makers offer. I have quite a few of them, in fact. Marvin Poole is a name many around here will recognize because he is local. (Commerce, I believe, but could be mistaken) This is just my personal taste. If guys want to line up to buy the most popular name brands, that's their choice and I don't blame them, but there is so much out there to see and should not be discarded.

The Freeman I picked up. This knife is amazing.
View attachment 1094538

And here's a video I found of Jeff showing his knives at last year's Blade.

I also met a guy from Phoenix, Arizona who had some incredible custom knives. I did not buy one, but he left an impression and I have his card around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Another old timer I met was from New Hampshire and he had some beautiful stag handle hunting knives, along with hand tooled sheaths he and his wife hand stitched. Same story, I have his card somewhere. His knives were top shelf quality.

Just a few of the many examples.

Man, I knew nothing about Freeman Outdoor Gear before you posted the link to their site, but that folder they make looks legit! I'm going to beat a path to their table at Blade and check out one in person. Heck, I may order one before then.

Back
Top Bottom