• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth buying a single six over a heritage 22?

I have both. The Ruger is a far better gun but you pay a lot more for it. The Heritage is ok for what it is, a cheap plinker but still fun to shoot.

No body has mentioned the S&W 617 10 shot .22lr. I have one of these as well with a kick butt trigger job to boot.

One thing about having a gun that can shoot .22lr and .22mag is that the ballistics on the .22mag is only a few hundred feet per second faster than the .22lr because the barrel is too short for the magnum round. Waste of money shooting that expensive magnum ammo. The Heritage with the 16" barrel gets the magnum round moving.

I love Rugers as much as ANY ONE on this forum , i own six of them and believe that they make the best value in firearms period . Now with that said i also own some lesser guns, one of them being a Rough Rider. I bought it a couple of years back ,based on its price. My son who was then eight wanted to learn to shoot, i considered a single six, again i love Ruger's. But i don't enjoy shooting .22's ,in fact they bore the hell out of me.
So my choice was clear a less expensive revolver, since he will primarily be shooting it. I found a very nice NIB Rough Rider for a fee of $189.00. Since owning it my son and i have fired over a 1000 rounds through it with it showing very little wear . I have no issues other then the cheap finish its kinda rough. So to sum it up. my little Rough Rider has been a great inexpensive tool for my son, and depending on your expectations and purpose ,it will be fine.
I'll keep my 357 Black hawk because when i want something to go BANG it ain't a .22 !

I have 2 Rough Riders and recently bought a Diamondback Sidekick, which I haven't even shot yet.

I have my RR's setup as follows, 6.5 inch barrel, six shot, 22 mag and 4.75 inch barrel, nine shot, .22lr.

The swingout cylinder on the Sidekick solves one of the pain in the ass details with the RR, loading and unloading.

I might get me another RR in the uber long barrel "buntline" model for my 22 magnum shooting.

If I was doing one chicken, I can just break its neck. But I don't. I'll cull about 20 roosters at a time, and it's much less of a fight hanging them all upside down and killing them with a 22. I even have a laundry machine looking thing that defeathers them. It's a whole chicken wing ding here in winter.

We catch them at night and stick them in a coop. Fast them for a day. Comes the next morning, we grab them all and hang them upside down around the rim of a trampoline. They all get the sleeping pill, usually from the model 60. We then cut their heads off while they're hanging to bleed them. Dip them in boiling water then toss them in the tumbler. Once they're naked, we dress them keeping the hearts and livers for the dogs. We then debone them, ground them, and make chicken brats. Fire up the grill the next day and have a feast with veggies from our garden.

View attachment 4470480
When I was a kid in the late 70’s we did basically the same thing only we would just use a hatchet and a stump, wack their heads off and chuck them. This is where I learned “running like a chicken with its head cut off”. They run and spew out the blood then dip them in the pot of boiling water. My job was picking feathers, lol.

When I was a kid in the late 70’s we did basically the same thing only we would just use a hatchet and a stump, wack their heads off and chuck them. This is where I learned “running like a chicken with its head cut off”. They run and spew out the blood then dip them in the pot of boiling water. My job was picking feathers, lol.
Same here, don’t know which was worse, plucking or gutting.
But it is sorta disturbing watching those headless birds run…

of course the ruger is much nicer than the heritage. For killing chickens I doubt youd see a difference. The ruger wrangler is an option as well thats cheaper than a single six.

There's no comparison between the two pistols. And the Ruger doesn't have the safety which is a good thing. IMO
IMG_20220902_080425916.jpg

Back
Top Bottom