• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth reloading?

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Me and three of my neighbors have considered investing in reloading equipment. For the most part we shoot handgun calibers (.380, 9mm, .40, .45, 357 sig, 38/357). Is it worth buying the machinery and materials to reload or will it not give any significant decrease in costs.

I used to have all of this worked out on a spread sheet. The short answer I believe was yes, once you have reloaded 2-3000 rounds and if you get good deals on the equipment. My memory is fuzzy on the numbers, but I think I figured out by loading lead and using light rounds I could get .45 down to atleast $15 cheaper per 100 than it was at WalMart.

I think the key is it comes down to if you enjoy it. I havent reloaded in several years but when I did it was something fun to do when I didn't have time for a range trip and that made it worth it. If its a chore to you, chances are you won't do it often enough to see any savings

Last edited:
DEFINITELY worth reloading. I have been reloading for a couple of years now, and it has probably saved me $1K above and beyond what I paid for the equipment & supplies. All I load is .38/.357 because that is all I own at the moment.

I will say .380 is a PITA to reload, and 9mm is almost pointless if you have a good source for cheap ammo. But .40, .45 and .38 are definitely cheaper to reload. I can buy .38 for about $20/50 rounds. My favorite loadings run anywhere from $5-8/50 rounds to reload. So I am saving $12-15 a box...and I shoot 100-150 per range session. I paid for my LEE set-up inside of 3 month.

In the end, it really depends on how often you shoot. A few times a year...it might not be worth the time to reload. A few times a month...yeah, it pays for itself.

DEFINITELY worth reloading. I have been reloading for a couple of years now, and it has probably saved me $1K above and beyond what I paid for the equipment & supplies. All I load is .38/.357 because that is all I own at the moment.

I will say .380 is a PITA to reload, and 9mm is almost pointless if you have a good source for cheap ammo. But .40, .45 and .38 are definitely cheaper to reload. I can buy .38 for about $20/50 rounds. My favorite loadings run anywhere from $5-8/50 rounds to reload. So I am saving $12-15 a box...and I shoot 100-150 per range session. I paid for my LEE set-up inside of 3 month.

In the end, it really depends on how often you shoot. A few times a year...it might not be worth the time to reload. A few times a month...yeah, it pays for itself.

Agree with this ^^^^^. I load .380, 38/357, .44spl/mag, .45acp and several rifle calibers. .380 isn't that bad to load either. Yes you can definately save $$$. And nothing better than rolling your own, and shooting them. I load alot of wadcutters, etc. for practice with the 38/357's and like Junior above said you can get the price down to $5-8 per 50. Between me my boys and my neighbor we can run through a few hundred in a trip. That's besides the other calibers we shoot up. Shop ALL your needs around, because there are allot of deals on used equipment, and trades to be made for brass, bullets etc. And bottom line, I really enjoy reloading.

For many of us who reload, it becomes a large extension to the guns and shooting hobby. If that's something you care to immerse yourself in, it's an enjoyable extension. If it's purely an excercise in cost savings, you may be better off looking for bulk ammo purchases.

Here's a grossly simplified summary of reloaded pistol ammo cost, per round, without accounting for your time or equipment costs:

jacketed bullet: 12.5 cents
powder: 2 cents
primer: 2 cents
brass (starting new, assume case reloading life is 10 rounds): 1.5 cents

Works out to 18 cents a round. Some calibers are cheaper than others. For example, finding free 9mm brass is easy. 38 special brass lasts almost indefinitely. So the cost is lower for those calibers. Using cast bullets instead of jacket bullets can cut the cost in half, but with the higher presure calibers, it's harder to come up with successful loads that don't badly lead your gun barrel and make cleaning a nightmare. Again, that's a time investment until you get a good load that works well in a variety of guns.

Now, I can tell you, by scrimping, scrounging, and really working hard at it, the above can be dramatically reduced, but at considerable investment of time. My 38 special loads, with my own cast bullets, cost about 2 cents apiece in materials. But the time investment to get to that point is massive. I probably have $1000 invested in reloading, casting and support gear. I spend many hours casting, sizing, and loading the ammo. I do it because I like it.

If you don't want to reload as part of a hobby, then it comes down to how much ammo you shoot, and how the cost savings compares relative to the value of your time. If you don't shoot a lot, or your life doesn't allow for a lot of range trips, reloading is probably not for you.

In the long run you save A LOT of money. With calibers like .380 , .44 , 38, 357 you save tons of money. Soon you will be a brass whore looking for brass anywhere you can. Like RBSTERN said, get into casting. I love casting booolits. Its alot of fun and quite relaxing.

Do it once, and you will be hooked!

+1

I can generally cut my costs in half, sometimes better. A buddy of mine constantly points out, "You have to count your labor and time into it.....you're probably not saving any money". Well ha-ha, I am saving money and I do this as my hobby. When other people are watching a game or goofing off in some other way, I'm reloading. My equipment is setup so that I can watch a movie if I want to, I also have a radio nearby, so no time is wasted. I find it VERY relaxing. Great way to unwind! I reload 9mm, .45, .223, and 30-06.

Best thing I can tell you to do is look for used/cheap reloading equipment and components, don't buy new unless you just find a great deal. I started out with a used Lee setup for $50 and added to it as I found things I needed, tumbler, etc. As I found more and better equipment, a $5 RCBS press most recently at a yard sale, for cheap I upgraded to better equipment and gave the other setup to a younger guy wanting to get into reloading. No doubt, after the first time you will be hooked!

Do it once, and you will be hooked!
x2.

YES you can save money. How much as stated above depends on how much your going to shoot. Around here powder burns quick, so we save a bunch! Before long you'll be adding on rooms, grin. Be safe and good luck to you!

img.photobucket.com_albums_v600_AceGunDogs_IMG_1150.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom