• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is "knockdown power" real?

Just wonder what the results would be using shooting into gel block, would be more like shooting into mass more like animals??

just a simple consideration to ponder... and what the results would be??...

Shot a chipmunk once with a slow moving .22 ( subsonic ) from about 15 yards. That's probably about like a human being hit with a shotgun slug, and all the rat did was die didn't Even move.

I've noticed the same thing shooting woodchucks / groundhogs with a .22 high velocity round.

Proportional to its body size, that .22 cartridge is like a .45-70, or a .458 Win Mag, or a 20-gauge shotgun slug to a human.

And yet it doesn't knock them over. If it kills them instantly, they fall pretty much where they stood. Often they run some distance before they stop and thrash around and die.

Living creatures that get shot may jump upon impact, but they're not doing that because the bullet shoved them.
They may fall over, stiff like a tree being felled by a lumberjack, but that's not the bullet knocking them over.
They may collapse on the spot, straight down. But the bullet didn't push them down. The bullet just turned them off like a light switch.

Forgot about the old gray matter. Lots of folks die to stroke and aneurysm each year. A bullet blending that up doesn't help either.

Not at all!
if the brain is damaged enough then it quits sending message to the body to inflate the lungs and to the heart to beat.
that's why people can be alive with tramatic brain injuries, but IF not placed on heart /lung machines the body decomposes.
the reason that people die of an aneurism is the same or they simply run out of blood .

Way back when the earth was still flat and there were no electric light bulbs, I spent part of my summers at Gray-Y day camp at the YMCA, that was for the "poor kids".

One day, they brought in "Chief Whatsamatta" to demonstrate "traditional" Indian crafts. He took an ordinary paper grocery bag (the only thing available before they became really cool) and filled it with sand. Then he shot a the bag with a .38 special right in front of all those middle schoolers, and not a one needed a safe space, but I digress. The .38 didn't penetrate the bag, Then he shot it with a traditional bow and a field point and the arrow penetrated the bag very nicely.

That made a real impression on me.

Being a former archer .
first a arrow weighs about 500 grains, maybe more depending on the type of tip/length.
its moving depending on the bow and range in the general vicinity of 300-350 FPS.
so you can figure the energy level.
things to remember is one the diameter (again depending on the particular size of the arrow is about 20-25 caliber, and of course its totally non expanding.
lots of weight, small diameter , non expanding.
of course the old wooden arrows are much heavier and the most modern arrows are lighter.
I have seen a practice arrow with a field tip go through one side of a cement block wall that was load bearing, but then again I have seen an arrow also pick up a medium sized bird and take the bird with it a ways as it did not penetrate it due to the light weight of the bird.
both of these were from an older recurve hunting bow of about 45-50 pound draw weight.
just a few musings concerning arrow\bows.
I believe the guy you are referring to was Chief Knockahoma?

Not talking incapacitation, we are talking DEATH.
kept a lot of gang bangers alive via CPR with brain/spinal injuries until they could be pronounced by a Doctor.
Death can be instantaneous and the heart and lungs are functioning. Your body can be kept functioning for some time after brain activity ceases, done all the time for harvesting purposes.
When brain activity irreversibly ceases is the definition of biological death. You are referring only to clinical death, which you can recover from.

Just wonder what the results would be using shooting into gel block, would be more like shooting into mass more like animals??

just a simple consideration to ponder... and what the results would be??...

I believe that about every gel test that I have seen even with large caliber magnum handguns the Gel might jump and wiggle a bit but never seen one knocked off the table.
and a Gel block doesn't weigh anywhere near what a man does.
now BIG rifles are a different matter.

Interesting is something shootingthebull410 said in a gel test.

You can push your finger through gel but it's pretty hard to push a finger through a person's skin.
Also gel can be calibrated by testing it with a BB gun.

Will probably google to see if anyone shot gel with an arrow soon.

Someplace I ran up on a test where pigs were shot and a doctor could not distinguish wound channels between different calibers.

Back
Top Bottom