• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is "knockdown power" real?

I believe that about every gel test that I have seen even with large caliber magnum handguns the Gel might jump and wiggle a bit but never seen one knocked off the table.
and a Gel block doesn't weigh anywhere near what a man does.
now BIG rifles are a different matter.

We have a 264 wm, 300wbym, 338 lapua mag, and the penetration all the way through. A 500 S&W, WAS INTERESTING as they individuals were doing bullet development. Enjoyed watching testing and the refinement of the bullets after each shot. Either way
would not want to experience it personally either...

Interesting is something shootingthebull410 said in a gel test.

Someplace I ran up on a test where pigs were shot and a doctor could not distinguish wound channels between different calibers.

If I am not mistaken that was a test conducted by the military to try and find what was the best loads, seems it was quite a while back as well.
like before Ballistic Gel and PETA.
for comparison testing bal gel needs to be the same type gel, (Organic/synthetic), must have the proper mixing ratio and be at the appropriate testing temperature, also only 1 shot can be used per block.

knockdown power is a term. it is not the ability of a round to knock a person off their feet, but more to stop them/end threat. kinda like wiretapping means illegal survalence and not necessarily splicing into or tapping wires.
buy the literal knock down term a slower heavier round would do more knocking down.
shoot a metal tank ( i use empty freon tanks from the business at the end of my building) with a 9mm and then a 380. the 9 goes thru with a little movement, the 380 hits it and wont go thru the metal. the 380 will knock the tank over. since it cant break thru the tank, most of its energy is put into moving it and a little to denting it..

Meh... should have used RIP ammo and watched the logs explode...

:pop2:

But yeah I see where you are coming from. I don't rely on knockdown as much as I do the ballistic gel results of a permanent wound cavity like say a .45acp 230gr HST. Now that's impressive as it looks like a tarantula when expanded

Knockdown power is what was used on the POS that tried to rob the pawnshop in Mableton. Video of him getting blow away is on ODT
Wrong. Have you seen the coroner's report? I doubt you have.

The guy in that video, very likely caught a bullet to his Central Nervous System. He was DRT and that doesn't happen with a handgun unless it's a CNS hit.

Don't know the cal. or weight, but I have a minnieball we dug up at the battle of Peachtree creek site. You don't want one of those to hit you.

Back
Top Bottom