• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is Reloading for You?... The following is almost Religious!

I self taught myself about 25 years ago but being an aircraft mechanic I'm anal by nature and can follow procedures/manuals very, very well.
I agree not everyone is capable of the accurate repetitiveness it takes to reload and to mix alcohol and anything firearms related is just asinine.

Remember reloading is a very expensive hobby, a time consuming hobby, that can get you into trouble faster than you can get out of.

Buy quality products, not cheap products, buying cheap can get you in big headaches, and wishing you had quality products not quantity of products...

We have been reloading for over 45+ years and it takes time and discipline, if you are in a hurry, stop, and quit before you hurt yourself or someone else... We do not reload when tired, or pushed it just is not worth the risk, A VERY HIGH RISK... Always write yourself a note if you are quitting for the reloading session. it will save a problem from occurring...

It is less costly to learn from other people mistakes, than learning from your own, a whole lot less expensive!!!

I started reloading in the 80s. I didn't have anyone to teach me, so everything came from books that were non existent in my area. I started with Lee equipment... first a manual and a single stage press, and later a turret for handgun. I ordered all my equipment from an add in the back of a gun magazine. No shops in my area sold reloading supplies, so a couple hour drive was required to get anything. I got hooked on the process, but learning new things about reloading was slow before the web.

These days I use a Dillon 550 for my high volume stuff like 9mm, 45acp, 223, but a lee single stage still handles all the lower volume riffles. I have a 10b and 20lb bottom pour pots and pour all my handgun and lever action bullets.
Many people will confirm that reloading saves money and or allows a person to shoot more and that may be true. I truly enjoy reloading, but my biggest reason for reloading has always been that I will never be without ammo. I remember 3 significant ammo shortages over the years, and several component shortages.... keeping supplies in stock has seen me thru all of it.

With the resources available today, learning to reload, and do it safely, are so much better I don't understand why it is not a major force in the firearms world. I hope reloading doesn't die a slow death like HAM radio seems to be doing.

I will echo the earlier statements that booze and drugs have no place in the reloading scene.

I only reload three cartiges at present. I use a simple one stage press. Cleaning and prepping all the brass is pretty much standard procedure across the industry. But I only do one bullet at a time. I trickle charge my loads so each one is exactly the same. I weigh all the bullets separate them into two piles. After I charge the cartridge I put it in the tray so I know that it's ready to go. Then after the tree has 50 rounds in it I put the projectiles in and seat them. I check every 5th or 6th round to make sure everything is still in spec. It takes a good long time to do 50 rounds but I know that each one is right on the money it'll give me the same accuracy is the round before. I do it this way because machine progressive reloader scare me there's just too much going on it's something may happen that I don't know about. I stick to the one bowl at a time situation so I have total control over each and every round. And I did have a tutor that showed me the ins and outs which I highly suggest every new reloader have and listen to religiously like you said it can be a great experience or it can be very dangerous. Patience, attention to detail, and precise calibrations is the key to successful reloading and for me a simple one cartridge at a time press allows me to do that. I concentrate on quality over quantity every time.

Have been loading shotshells for about 20 years and still loading and shooting sub gauge on a regular basis.
Loading shotshells, in my opinion, is easier than handgun and rifle, but you still must be aware of each step in the processor or you can make a mess or load a shell that is not safe.

Post a question in reloading and there are a lot of great folks with experience in almost any caliber or gauge who are willing to help out.

Had a gentleman PM about 410 buckshot loads. This is not something I would normally load, but I spend a few hours working up some loads and reported back my results. I have loaded 10s of thousands of shotshells, but I am never to old to learn something new.

I started reloading in 2015 when I encountered a guy at a local range with a bunch of reloading equipment and misc gun parts for sale. I began by watching every video I could on reloading, read a couple on-line books and began with 9MM and .223, followed by other calibers. In the beginning it was satisfying to watch my ammo surplus grow. However, in 2017 I encountered the infamous squib loads due to slacking on quality over quantity. I did catch each squib without catastrophic failure, but did end up damaging a pistol due to frustrations with that batch of squibs.
I sent that pistol back to the manufacturer and it was properly repaired and functions perfectly. I also have gotten my quality measures tightened up and haven't encountered a squib since then, although I have had to teardown a couple batches from time to time...

Another piece of advice I'd give to anyone new to reloading is to invest in a chronograph. For me, it is a critical part of load development.

Another piece of advice I'd give to anyone new to reloading is to invest in a chronograph. For me, it is a critical part of load development.
It is also a diagnostic tool to indicate if something is grossly wrong. Velocities way below or above published velocities may indicate something is amiss with your loads and needs further investigation.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom