• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is reloading really worth it?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on this? Is it dangerous when reloading? Like can it accidentally ignite and blow up some gun powder?

How much would you be saving if you reloaded? I usually buy 1k brass ammo for my 223 and 9mm, I never pick up my brass... How many times can you use the same brass to reload? How long does it take to reload 1k rounds? I work 60 hours a week so I want to know if it takes time...

This has been covered a few times on here if you do a search. I feel it is worth it, thats why I do it. Feel free to pick up your brass, I will gladly take it off your hands and dispose of it properly.

Not dangerous if you can follow instructions.
Do factory loaded rounds just go boom for no reason?
My setup has paid for itself many times over and allowed me to shoot a lot more. Typically magnum and rifle cartridges are the biggest money savers. Maybe not as much with .223 and 9mm but the quality will typically be higher than factory ammo. After all you are in charge of QC
Number of loadings on brass varies due to many factors.
Speed depends on the setup and familiarity.
Yes it takes time. I typically spread the process out by doing it in stages.

Look at the "Sticky" at the begining of the Reloading Forum, lots of answers there.
Then get yourself a copy of a good reloading manual (Lyman 49th Edition or similiar)
Read about the entire process (the information is invaluable even if you never use it).

Then decide whether you want to proceed with what many of us feel to be a rewarding extension of our
"Gun Hobby"

I just picked up the Lyman manual myself. I think its worth it, thats why I am getting started. Follow the instructions and it will save you money in the long run.

You'll save money in the long run. But it's a hobby as well. Hobbies cost money to get started. Like mention earlier it will take some time to save money reloading 9mm and 223. But reloading precision loads for rifles is a plus. I have a youth 308 that I use a light loads in for the kids to shoot. As they grow I increase closer to a average load.

I save very little money reloading. I shoot more often and I tinker more. Last night I tried out new bullets I had bought with a member on here. Went to the range and fired 25 out of a glock 18 mag. All worked perfectly first time through. Was an awesome feeling knowing I can do something like that instead of just buying out of a box. For me it's about the hobby, the small savings are a side benefit.

Depends on what calibers you shoot, how much you shoot, how you value your time, and what quality ammo you want.

Shoot a couple of hundred rounds of 9mm a year? Not worth it. Shoot 2K a year? Probably worth it.

Is your time pretty cheap? It's probably worth it. Don't have much time to spare? Probably not worth it.

Are you plinking with bulk ammo? Probably not worth it. Are you looking for 500-yard accuracy? Probably worth it.

You can save a lot of money on calibers like .45 ACP. You can save a lot of money on high powered rifle ammo. You can save "some" on calibers like 9mm and .223. Where you really get the benefit from loading is from accuracy. Even a relative amateur can load match grade rounds cheaper than bulk ammo prices.

Another way to look at it is you can shoot match grade or hollowpoint for the price of FMJ factory ammo. I buy 9mm FMJ from Walmart, and save the brass, and reload with hollowpoints.

As noted above, one tends to shoot more for the same amount of money. I look at a case of 500 rounds of .223 costing near $300 or so. For .223, 8 pounds of powder costs around $120, and will load over 2,000 rounds. A thousand primers are around $30, so $60 for 2K. A thousand .223 55gr FMJBT's are around $90/1K, so totalling $360 for 2,000 rounds, and brass is often found free. I bought over 5,000 pieces of military brass from $5. Before that a guy with a gunshop gave me over 7,000 pieces of LC brass.

So you can make it work for you. Just know where to save money. Ask for reloading components for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom