Is the "value" sentimental?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
I know that people are free to ask whatever they want for their items. And I know you can just ignore the post and move on. I know you are free to offer whatever you want. Whatever pat answer you have to my actual real question that does not actually pose an answer to the question …. I know.

But I'm stunned and really trying to understand the thinking.

When people post an item for sale - its used and they list a price that is either right at or a couple dollars below retail.

When I see something I might want, I go online and search for prices. I'm stunned when I see the same item for LESS, or almost as bad, an equal value or sometime even more.

In all seriousness, are these people:

A) ignorant of the value of the item
B) figure some people won't know and they can make some money
C) figure equal value is fine since people avoid tax, even if they have to PM 50 times to arrange a meeting and then work out all the crap details of getting together
D) assuming everyone will offer them less and they will actually take less but afraid to post it for less since the offers will be even lower?

I know I can ignore it and I know they can ask what they want. But I'm (repeating myself) seriously wondering what they are thinking. It would actually help me when I see a (example) scope I want with rings included for $100 more than the new scope costs. Its used!!! I can buy rings for $100 and scope for 500. Why is your price 650? Does it have sentimental value because they owned it? Do they expect the lower offer and price to accommodate?

I can't figure out how to respond to these posts because I really don't know what they are thinking. I'd rather pay $100 more for brand new plus tax on some items because I know it is NEW and no chance of abuse. Certainly would pay $10 more for new.

I see items that are priced above AMAZON prices. Why would I pay you 300 for something I can have tomorrow with a click of a button for less, or even the same - delivered new to my door?

any insight into these minds is actually appreciated.
typical advice on how to handle it will be taken in stride.
Typical snide remarks about their IQ will be laughed at.

giphy-2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom