• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is there any collectible value on vintage primers?

SchmittZoid

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery
282   0
Reaction score
Gents,

I found a few boxes of old primers in my Dad's gun stuff tonight. He started doing a little 12-gauge shotgun shell reloading back when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I think he stopped before I hit middle school, so these must date back to around 1963 to about 1969 or so.

Any special collectible value to these? I have no idea. They originally cost (from the price tag on one box) $1.75 per hundred, or $15.50 per thousand.

Zoid

cimg0614-jpg.44693

Heck I guess there is some value to most anything to someone but I don't really see these as being collectible?
I would think the boxes may be the most collectible to someone that collects old shotgun shells , etc..
I would imagine these things were produced in the 100's of thousands if not millions over the years.

Unless they are from the civil war, probably not.
If you have RARE primers (Berdan primers, unusual size before small and large were standardized, etc.) from a defunct company and you can find a primer collector, you might have something.

those old primers are from the late 1960s or early 1970s, right? I'm guessing that, based on the package appearance and the price.

Now if you had some REALLY OLD primers, such as the kind they used in the 1910's - 1930s, rounded rather than flat (see pic), they might be worth something.

rounded primer.jpg

those old primers are from the late 1960s or early 1970s, right? I'm guessing that, based on the package appearance and the price.

Now if you had some REALLY OLD primers, such as the kind they used in the 1910's - 1930s, rounded rather than flat (see pic), they might be worth something.

View attachment 919143

Judging from when my Dad had his reloading setup, I would say he bought them between 1962 or 1964. I was a wee lad at the time.

I'm not thinking these have any huge value, but I was hoping someone would be interested enough to indicate an interest in them.

Back
Top Bottom