• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this 100% Correct

I agree with your commend, however, I do not consider correct to be original or collector grade. I am promoting this rifle as correct configuration for the time / era it was manufactured.

Then we both are in agreement it is correct for the Year and month of manufacture :thumb:

Nice gun, and the parts look right.

It does have 2 negatives I see for a collector.

Number one is the stock looks wrong. It appears to have been sanded and filled, esp on the right side, the grain looks wrong for wood of that period. Stampings are way too clear for the condition of the rest of the stock, then when I see it is a Ga gun,,,,,Big ding.

Two, the condition of the barrel really detracts from desirability. It hits a Springfield values more than it would a Winnie.

And, 73 pics and no pic of the breach opening?

Calling it a "Correct Grade" implies it is CMP gun . "Correct parts for date of manufacture" might come across better. It appears to be a parts gun.

No intention to knock you or the gun, and you aren't selling here, so not trying to influence your sale, just answering your post.

Just telling you how your ad comes across to me, having been real hot into these things at one time. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Nice gun, and the parts look right.

It does have 2 negatives I see for a collector.

Number one is the stock looks wrong. It appears to have been sanded and filled, esp on the right side, the grain looks wrong for wood of that period. Stampings are way too clear for the condition of the rest of the stock, then when I see it is a Ga gun,,,,,Big ding.

Two, the condition of the barrel really detracts from desirability. It hits a Springfield values more than it would a Winnie.

And, 73 pics and no pic of the breach opening?

Calling it a "Correct Grade" implies it is CMP gun . "Correct parts for date of manufacture" might come across better. It appears to be a parts gun.

No intention to knock you or the gun, and you aren't selling here, so not trying to influence your sale, just answering your post.

Just telling you how your ad comes across to me, having been real hot into these things at one time. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Thanks you for your input.

If you could see the stock up-close and in person, there is no sign that it has been sanded.

No pictures of the bore is just an over-sight on my part.

As I understand, CMP never used the term " Correct Grade". CMP uses "Collector Grade" for an original parts rifle. I got his rifle from a collector 20 years ago and have only replace the clip latch spring. Could other parts have been replaced? It's very likely. Have all the parts been replaced? Very un-likely.

75 year old barrel is what it is. This is not being promoted as a a benchrest rifle.

Art

As I understand, CMP never used the term " Correct Grade". CMP uses "Collector Grade" for an original parts rifle.

Not saying you should or shouldn't use it but, CMP has both Correct Grade and Collector grade listed on their M1 Garand page.

CORRECT GRADE: (VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT)
Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. This grade is rare and is only available occasionally in limited quantities. Because of the scarcity of these rifles, they will only be sold on the CMP
auction site at cmpauction.thecmp.org.

COLLECTOR GRADE: (EXCELLENT)
Collector Grade Rifles show almost no wear or use and have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Data sheets prepared by CMP armorers are included in the butt trap of each Collector Grade Rifle. Excellent condition - little or no use. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Because of the scarcity of these rifles, they will only be sold on the CMP auction site at cmpauction.thecmp.org.

Back
Top Bottom