• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this carbine worth purchasing?

Keep in mind that he's 93. Old guys look at guns differently, even if they used to be gun guys. Often they're looking to pass something on that they can/will no longer use. Perhaps the $400 price is an offer of thanks for the things you and your wife have done, and by "selling" you the rifle, he feels like he's given back to you, and has passed on something that he enjoyed.

That's very nice indeed.

well you are correct, I told him I had asked on one of the "computer things" I am on (he does not do computers) and told him it is worth more then the $400 he wanted. He said probably but he wants me to have it and actually wants me to write the check to his church as a donation which is what I will do. While he did see service in WWII it was in a support unit in Africa and Italy, he said he got the carbine from a friend in the early 50's, so no real history.

We'll be lesser as a people when this generation goes. My chief range officer was born in 1928, lied like hell to join the Marines and fought the Japanese across the Pacific before he was old enough to buy a beer. He still does almost all the maintenance at the range and gets a little angry if we (the members) do something that he thinks is in his purview. His is the greatest generation.

well you are correct, I told him I had asked on one of the "computer things" I am on (he does not do computers) and told him it is worth more then the $400 he wanted. He said probably but he wants me to have it and actually wants me to write the check to his church as a donation which is what I will do. While he did see service in WWII it was in a support unit in Africa and Italy, he said he got the carbine from a friend in the early 50's, so no real history.

I suspected that in the beginning, when he can tear it down and show you all the matching numbers, he knows what he has.....he just wants something he values very much to go to someone he values very much . It is a tribute from him to you, he feels you will value it also and take care of it when he is gone.
You are very lucky, you have a real friend there.

I suspected that in the beginning, when he can tear it down and show you all the matching numbers, he knows what he has.....he just wants something he values very much to go to someone he values very much . It is a tribute from him to you, he feels you will value it also and take care of it when he is gone.
You are very lucky, you have a real friend there.
Damn well said Sir, and I agree! Op take every day you can and spend quality time with this Veteran...He values your friendship!! Now this is a feel good story..

Most times, I am really impressed buy making people smile..After this many years of being taught, It is better to give than receive. You Op are blessed!

Back
Top Bottom