• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this legal to own

I don't feel like looking it up, but I think ATF has taken the position that if you own an AR-15 that will accept M16 select-fire components, just owning the gun and the machinegun parts at the same address is "possession of an unregistered machinegun" under the "constructive possession" theory. ESPECIALLY if some of those full-auto parts are ONLY used for automatic fire and have NO function or role to play in semi-auto shooting.

well, if you think that one day you may buy a registered lower. its not a bad idea to get the spare parts you may need..
also if you own a ar15 that will accept select fire components, you are already breaking the law..
3 holes = jail time..

100% legal to own. Just dont drill a hole for the sear in your lower.

Some parts are considered machineguns by themselves, like an uzi bolt with a slot cut in it. But m16 parts are not considered a machinegun. Just a receiver with a sear pin hole.

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(b) Machinegun
The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Bottom line is if ATF can put these parts in your AR and make it so much as double with them, then you have a machinegun. doesn't need the sear hole or DIAS. If they can make it fire more than once per pull of the trigger then it's an unregistered MG.

16529074.jpg

So postal money order. Name John Doe
Mailed to the empty house next door. Addressed to John Doe
And then bury it in your backyard for the day SHTF?

Not a good idea if your name actually is John Doe

There used to be a younger guy selling kits up front at the RK show at the Expo Center, just walking around.
I understand intent but it always seemed like a trap to me so I never bought anything from him.

It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't buy a full-auto BCG depending on where you lived because whoever wrote the laws just saw 'full-auto' in the description and decided that it was bad for the children.
Occasionally on AR15.com some old-timer will post about them being illegal but I'm not aware of anyplace where they are still banned or not legal to own and use.

Back
Top Bottom