• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this True or just Local gun shop lore

JET 5.45x39

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
62   0
Reaction score
So the other week I’m browsing at my LGS and another gentleman in the shop was looking at a Glock 22. It was a rather small shop so I could not help but overhearing the discussion he had with the salesman while he looked at the pistol. Essentially the salesman asked why the potential customer was interested in purchasing the Glock and if he would like to look at anything else of similar specs and what his purchase criteria was. The gentleman responded “No no I’m only looking for a Glock I have a PC that takes Glock mags already and I’m wanting a reliable handgun that can be disposable for carrying in my car” the salesman asked if he could clarify why he felt the handgun would need to be disposable. To which the gentleman responded well because if I hypothetically had to use the firearm in a self defense situation it would be confiscated and destroyed even if he was found to be innocent and the case was ruled self defense.
so is it true that they destroy your firearm? ive never heard such a thing but this guy went on and on about having friends in LE and being very knowledgeable but I’ve never heard such a thing nor have I found a definitive answer. And quite frankly I don’t trust anyone who chooses to shoot 40 S&W.

So the other week I’m browsing at my LGS and another gentleman in the shop was looking at a Glock 22. It was a rather small shop so I could not help but overhearing the discussion he had with the salesman while he looked at the pistol. Essentially the salesman asked why the potential customer was interested in purchasing the Glock and if he would like to look at anything else of similar specs and what his purchase criteria was. The gentleman responded “No no I’m only looking for a Glock I have a PC that takes Glock mags already and I’m wanting a reliable handgun that can be disposable for carrying in my car” the salesman asked if he could clarify why he felt the handgun would need to be disposable. To which the gentleman responded well because if I hypothetically had to use the firearm in a self defense situation it would be confiscated and destroyed even if he was found to be innocent and the case was ruled self defense.
so is it true that they destroy your firearm? ive never heard such a thing but this guy went on and on about having friends in LE and being very knowledgeable but I’ve never heard such a thing nor have I found a definitive answer. And quite frankly I don’t trust anyone who chooses to shoot 40 S&W.
LE are the LEAST reliable source of legal information OR police procedures

I can say from a personal experience a long time ago that I did get a pistol back that had been stolen out of my car by an acquittance and used in a shooting. No one died but there was someone shot. Marietta PD was the arresting agency and once the case was done I was cleared to go get it from the evidence holding area.

So, for what it's worth. If you are involved in a shooting in Georgia, the following SHOULD happen.....
after the scene is cleared, your gun will be taken into evidence. You should have been provided a copy of the form that was used to log it. depending on the type of shooting you are involved in, the gun maybe tested by the local agency( if they have the equipment and trained personnel to do it, or it maybe sent to the GBI for testing) in either case, they do not clean the guns after they test them, and they may shoot the gun numerous times to get a true ballistic comparison as well as any tool marks on the case, and striations or marks on the projectile. Your gun is usually not returned to you until after the trial or the case has been decided. This may or may not include any appeals that are filed.

So the old adage one is none and two are one, kind of are borne out. if you EDC, be sure to have a spare, of some sort, in case you have to use it.

Why don’t you trust anybody that chooses 40 cal? It’s like a weaker 10mm, essentially a 10mm short….

My understanding is LE will take the firearm into evidence after an event that included the use of the firearm. It will remain in evidence about a year unless the court case drags on. After dust settles, you are allowed to retrieve your firearm from evidence. If you decline it, they will destroy it.

Back
Top Bottom