• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ISO: Advice on bluing techniques

Thank you for all the updates. But how would you apply this to a larger piece such as a shotgun barrel

A large tank would need to be constructed or purchased. $56 https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...on-tanks/black-iron-bluing-tank-prod1062.aspx

p_082003664_1.jpg

An adjustable heat source-gas burners and a sturdy frame purchased or constucted-you don't want it to tip and spill hot lye salts as severe injury can occur.

Enough salts would need to be mixed to cover the barrel the a couple of inches and you don't want it resting on the bottom.

I have a long tank but making a frame and gas burner system has been low on my project list for about 2 years as it sets in my shop.

I suspect that at least initially, the start up cost would come close to having a gunsmith who blues steel do this for you. However, just one more barrel being blued, much of the cost has already been made as the salts will last for a few bluing jobs and you're spending money on gas.

Welded barrels, sights, double barrels, some worry the welds will weaken. I personally have not seen nor heard this with these lower temp. lye salts and guns produced post 1950's. Really old guns pre-1900's I wouldn't chance it and it would likely destroy any collector value.

As in a lot of processes, surface preparation is important to the end product. Don't let anyone buff it to death though, so many Lugers ruined that way, with every sharp edge blurred !

As in a lot of processes, surface preparation is important to the end product. Don't let anyone buff it to death though, so many Lugers ruined that way, with every sharp edge blurred !

This is the most critical step. Removing metal is easy. Putting back on afterwards is much more complicated and costly.

It's easy to get focused on getting a brilliant shine then realize you worn the markings nearly off.

Post #19
The surface prep is where your challenges will be. The hot bluing is pretty basic stuff, not really difficult, in fact once you get the hang of it you will never have a gun blued again.

Keep sharp angles sharp and rounds, round. Don't funnel screw holes etc.

Back
Top Bottom