• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Issue with .380 auto?

AlphaMike11

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
47   0
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been reloading for years with different calibers, both handgun and rifle.
However I am encountering an issue with the .380 auto cartridges.

The issue is in order to expand the brass enough to accept the bullet it puts a "belt" around the waist of the brass. This only happens on about 40% of the brass.
All brass is range pick up mixed....

I have a Lyman 3 die set:
Sizer is marked: "380 auto FL"
Expander is marked: "EXP M-1"
Seat die is marked: "380 auto DA"

I bought the die set used.
Some of the brass has enough of a raised belt to require me to run it thru the Lee FCD.
Do i need to buy a new expander die?

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Start with the basics, what dia bullet, .355? Did you mic it prior to loading, some manufacturers are a little bigger, lead or jacketed?
Sounds like correct sizer, check cases prior to and after sizing, expander is only used to bell the case to accept the bullet. If bullet dia is correct I would check the cases and note which ones "belt". I have ran into s/b cases that are too hard and don't expand after sizing, perhaps a little thicker brass.
I have also ran into cases that have a step at the bottom inside, don't know if it's a new way to manufacture or whatever, I dispose of them.
When they "belt" will they fit in a go/no go gage?
Perhaps you have a tight sizer?
Post a pix and lets see what you have.

How are you setting your expander? Are you running the case up above the step in the expander die (on the plug)? That is how the M die is supposed to be used, it flares the mouth and expands the case in the area where the bullet will occupy.

Start with the basics, what dia bullet, .355? Did you mic it prior to loading, some manufacturers are a little bigger, lead or jacketed?
Sounds like correct sizer, check cases prior to and after sizing, expander is only used to bell the case to accept the bullet. If bullet dia is correct I would check the cases and note which ones "belt". I have ran into s/b cases that are too hard and don't expand after sizing, perhaps a little thicker brass.
I have also ran into cases that have a step at the bottom inside, don't know if it's a new way to manufacture or whatever, I dispose of them.

OK,
Thanks for helping.

Plated Berry's .356 100 gr -measure out at .355 with my calipers. Have same issue with any bullet i use
Tried others but did not help...

The step is not an issue on these.
The lee FCD is a sizer, they will not fit barrel even.
Brass measures .375 on some at the belt.

Maybe it is the wrong plug? Are all Lymans like this?
0710172039.jpg
0710172039a.jpg

How are you setting your expander? Are you running the case up above the step in the expander die (on the plug)? That is how the M die is supposed to be used, it flares the mouth and expands the case in the area where the bullet will occupy.

The die is set with the shellholder barely touching the die.
Not even a 1/4 turn over for camover, but it is touching...

So you think the M die is the right one?
the other dies all have 380 auto on them...

Yea I think your on the right track with the dies. .375 is on the money. I would swap out the sizer die. Just for the heck of it I would run one through a 9mm die.Just about a 1/4 of the way down, I know it's tapered and doesn't matter on the lower part, but just to see how the bullet and brass would look. I think the 9s neck is a .380 and base is .391. If it looks good I would swap out the sizer.
I have run into thick brass, depends on manufacture.
I trim 9mm and fire form them into 9x18, (.355 to .365) they look kinda funky, but after shooting them once all checks out good.

I had an issue similar to yours with an older set of rcbs 380 dies several years ago. After contacting them and explaining the problem they sent a new sizer die that solved the problem. You might try contacting lyman to see if they would offer a similar solution to your problem.

Yea I think your on the right track with the dies. .375 is on the money. I would swap out the sizer die. Just for the heck of it I would run one through a 9mm die.Just about a 1/4 of the way down, I know it's tapered and doesn't matter on the lower part, but just to see how the bullet and brass would look. I think the 9s neck is a .380 and base is .391. If it looks good I would swap out the sizer.
I have run into thick brass, depends on manufacture.
I trim 9mm and fire form them into 9x18, (.355 to .365) they look kinda funky, but after shooting them once all checks out good.

Thanks Greybeard.
It is too many different types of brass doing it to be the brand.

My concern was if the M-1 label on the die meant it did not belong to the set.

I bought these dies used so someone may have changed the expander inside it.

Back
Top Bottom