• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It’s none of my business but…..

Also, as an Attorney I have personally witnessed problems that come up when a person dies owning several different investments, insurance policies, and financial assets, and their family cannot locate them all after death.

Often the papers related to these important financial documents and insurance policies are mixed among junk mail and will often get thrown out or stuffed into cardboard boxes and put out in the garage like so much junk.

But the executor of the estate will need these documents to find out what the deceased person owned and what money is available to be distributed to the heirs.

It's a good idea to write up a letter that you keep in a private secure place but the location of that place is known to and access is granted to the person who will be the executor of your estate and in that letter you should identify all the different bank accounts investments and insurance policies that you have or on which you are named to have some benefit or legal interest. You should put down the contact information for these companies or your CPA or other financial advisor that can help your executor locate them.
Yep

A friend of mine gave me a large envelope , asked me to keep it in a safe place and open it after he died .

Sorry for your loss and the aftermath as I have been there as well. My father lived in the same house for 41yrs and basically never got rid of anything. I had asked him for years before his mind went bad due to dementia and Parkinsons, to go through everything and decide what he wanted to do with it all, but he would just put it off and off and off and off. His disease took over and then it became my problem. After clearing out the house I then had to make repairs and sell the home I grew up in. It was very difficult. My stepfather who was in his 70's came to my father's house to help me. He saw what I was going through and remarked that when he got back home he was immediately going through his own house and property so his son did not have to do what I was forced into.

If you are older then don't wait to decide where items should go and who should get what. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Get off your ass and take care of it so as to not burden family.
I’m 33 and have all of that all squared away. I travel regularly to dangerous places for work and have high risk hobbies. People look at me like I’m insane for it, but if I pass they’ll be happy I was ready to pass all the info.

Back
Top Bottom