• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It started with a change to "Ship or Transfer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is listed under UNLICENSED PERSONS question and answer ATF site.

May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a firearm in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

Yep, which is exactly why I am asking. It goes a step further and gives an example of such a condition, including those people that are "residents" on the weekends and/or summers, which is my case. I am in Alabama as I type this, at my weekend home, and I even get a substantial break on my county taxes because this is my second home. Thanks for reposting what I stated in the opening query.

THIS!

Instead of trying to interpret all the crazy ATF rules, just have him ship it to your favorite FFL and go pick it up there.

The transfer might cost $20 or so, but it’s cheap insurance for knowing that you did everything 100% legally.

@BangBang, I get it, but I am thinking beyond a single deal because I have not done some deals in the past for these reasons. I have owned a second "weekend" home since 1996 and an Alabama business for 8 years. I plan to retire in Wedowee, but that may be a few more years. I am a "facts" and "right to know" kind of person, and skipping this deal is irrelevant to knowing and understanding the law. I suppose this is a bigger deal for me than most because my Georgia county borders Alabama, and only a 30-minute drive from home to home, similar to lots of you trading in a 30-minute radius of Athens or Marietta.

This is directly from the back on the current form 4473 in the section Question 2 clarifying what the buyer's residence is.. and it's definitely referring to common civilians :

zhg5xWL.jpg

Unfortunately most gunstore FFL's won't follow federal law and sell you a firearm if your state-issued ID isn't in "their" state, that's why you need a State issued ID card from your "part time residence" state. Legal to have and looks just like a DL, and you must meet same number of points of identification requirements to obtain one, just like re-newing your DL in GA (SS card, passport, utility bills in your name in that state, mailing address in that state, etc).

Seriously, if you want a possibly reliable answer call the BATF. They may be involved in the prosecution, not a bunch of Monday quarterbacks on the internet.

For the record, I called Atlanta ATF first thing this morning. It took several discussions to actually get an answer, and I have the name of the person to whom I discussed my specific situation. Although they "encourage" all transactions to be through an FFL for "traceability and to maintain an updated database of gun ownership via the Form 4473", when I am in Alabama on the weekends, where I maintain a second residence, I am considered an Alabama resident. For me, personally, this makes a big difference in being able to legally do a deal in my adjoining state. This is assuming, of course, that the Alabama person selling to me is willing to accept that I maintain dual residency (by the Gun Control Act and ATF interpretations) without providing any evidence of my in-state residency.

Therefore, I will close by saying, every situation is different, so always understand your specific situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom