12   0
Reaction score
Item Name: 40 cal

Zip Code: 31064

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: 40

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I know this isn't the right place but maybe the best place for a quick response.i just want to know why 90% of people on here shy away from 40 cal,I own several 40's and I think it's a great round and more cost effective then a 45 acp and there's tons of people wanting the 45.just wanted to know y'all's thoughts,thanks

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
The 10mm had a bad rep not the 40. Folks lean twords the 9mm nowadays because of the improvement in bullet design and you get a few more rounds in the 9mm. That said, YES there have been improvements in bullet design and the 9mm does have more stopping power than It once did, consider this, the same advances have been incorperated into .40 rounds as well Soooooo. They can say what they like irrargless of what said Diameter, weight and charge all play a factor in terminal bullistics. And if you think you need the two extra rounds in a hi cap mag,,,,, perhapse you need more range time.

It's funny when people make this argument. Yes, there were some improvements made to the .40 caliber as well as the 9mm. But have you seen the current ballistic gel tests of current day ammunition? The secondary wound channel plays a huge part in "stopping power". I use quotes around that term, because it tends to be quite a relative term, but I'll digress after this. In the ballistic gel tests, the secondary wound cavity of .40 cal defense ammo is only a TINY bit larger than that of the 9mm. 20 years ago there was quite a "gap" between the terminal performance of the 9mm and the .40 cal. Improvements were made to both, but that gap closed up quite a bit. Yes, there is a difference between the secondary wound cavities, but when you look at the gels that have been shot, you can't really even see the difference. You have to break out the ruler to measure and you say "yup, the .40 cal cavity is about a 1/4 of an inch bigger." This is the main reason why people choose 9mm over .40 cal. The difference is very minimal in the secondary wound cavity, you loose a round or two in the mag, and follow up shots are a little slower due to the increased muzzle flip, and the ammo is more expensive to train with. A lot of people feel like the .40 cal really isn't worth it. I personally have both a 9mm and a .40 cal. I don't hate on the .40 at all. I used to shoot a .45 but I prefer higher velocity. Higher velocities IMO are going to cause more of an impact on a target. Why do you think the .223 round is so effective. It's a dang .22 caliber. BUT, much more energy and much higher velocity causing a 50 or 55 grain slug to be so devastating. With that said, I'm working on getting a .357 sig barrel in my G23. Much more energy and much higher velocity. Yea, a LOT more muzzle flip, but the trade off is worth it IMO.

Also, you can never have enough rounds. I hate to sound like James Yaeger, but I agree with him when he told his viewers to talk to anybody that's been in a real life, gun fight. They always go back out with more ammunition than they had when they were in the gun fight. I'm reminded of the cop that was in the news. He was attack by an armed guy who had no drugs in his system when he was tested. The cop was shooting with a .45. He hit the guy multiple times center mass. Yes, center mass. It had nothing to do with a lack of range time. Sounded like the guy was actually a pretty good shot. Somewhere in the teens. The guy didn't stop shooting back and die until he was shot in the head (I think twice). The cop almost ran out of ammunition. The department switched over to 9mm to start carrying more rounds.

http://www.policeone.com/police-her...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

No No No No the .40 has never had an issue. When they came out with the 10mm (which uses the exact same projectile as the .40 S&W) they were just boring out 9mm framed guns and not "beefing them up" at the right stress points. The result was many of the frames were cracking after moderated amount of rounds going down the tube. However people loved the idea of the round and to this day a few 10mms are still in production. Fast forward a few years and the round was looked into again, this time the weapons chambered for the round were designed to fire the round rather than just retrofitting the "old gun".
This time the round went beautifully and was adopted by many law enforcement agencies over its 9mm counterpart (my own included).
I think the .40S&W is a fantastic round and I am not knocking the 9mm..... I carry a P938 off duty most every day. However to say a 9mm packs the stopping power of a .40S&W? Well Ill just chuckle a bit and move on to the next subject.

And oh the term "stopping power". Gotta love that term. What kind of stopping power are we talking about here? The stopping power that immediately stops the threat by instantly killing the person? The stopping power that doesn't necessarily kill the guy but sends him flying back into the wall like in the movies? The stopping power where the person doubles over and drops because he is instantly incapacitated? It's a very relative term we're discussing here. Secondary wound cavities, temporary wound cavities, transfer of energy, shot placement in vital areas, all play a part in stopping a threat. Unfortunately, nobody has really found the "Excalibur" (pun intended), so the debate continues. Personally, I think 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal are all reliable calibers. I would trust my life with any of them. As you can see above in the link, there are times when the .45, even with all of its weight and energy, doesn't stop a threat right away. There are times when .40 cal and 9mm do not stop a threat right away. Pick your poison and train with it.

Last edited:
For your viewing pleasure. Overall, I would say I don't like Yaeger. I would also say that I don't think 40s suck. BUT he makes some good points that I think everyone should consider.

It's funny when people make this argument. Yes, there were some improvements made to the .40 caliber as well as the 9mm. But have you seen the current ballistic gel tests of current day ammunition? The secondary wound channel plays a huge part in "stopping power". I use quotes around that term, because it tends to be quite a relative term, but I'll digress after this. In the ballistic gel tests, the secondary wound cavity of .40 cal defense ammo is only a TINY bit larger than that of the 9mm. 20 years ago there was quite a "gap" between the terminal performance of the 9mm and the .40 cal. Improvements were made to both, but that gap closed up quite a bit. Yes, there is a difference between the secondary wound cavities, but when you look at the gels that have been shot, you can't really even see the difference. You have to break out the ruler to measure and you say "yup, the .40 cal cavity is about a 1/4 of an inch bigger." This is the main reason why people choose 9mm over .40 cal. The difference is very minimal in the secondary wound cavity, you loose a round or two in the mag, and follow up shots are a little slower due to the increased muzzle flip, and the ammo is more expensive to train with. A lot of people feel like the .40 cal really isn't worth it. I personally have both a 9mm and a .40 cal. I don't hate on the .40 at all. I used to shoot a .45 but I prefer higher velocity. Higher velocities IMO are going to cause more of an impact on a target. Why do you think the .223 round is so effective. It's a dang .22 caliber. BUT, much more energy and much higher velocity causing a 50 or 55 grain slug to be so devastating. With that said, I'm working on getting a .357 sig barrel in my G23. Much more energy and much higher velocity. Yea, a LOT more muzzle flip, but the trade off is worth it IMO.

Also, you can never have enough rounds. I hate to sound like James Yaeger, but I agree with him when he told his viewers to talk to anybody that's been in a real life, gun fight. They always go back out with more ammunition than they had when they were in the gun fight. I'm reminded of the cop that was in the news. He was attack by an armed guy who had no drugs in his system when he was tested. The cop was shooting with a .45. He hit the guy multiple times center mass. Yes, center mass. It had nothing to do with a lack of range time. Sounded like the guy was actually a pretty good shot. Somewhere in the teens. The guy didn't stop shooting back and die until he was shot in the head (I think twice). The cop almost ran out of ammunition. The department switched over to 9mm to start carrying more rounds.

http://www.policeone.com/police-her...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

And oh the term "stopping power". Gotta love that term. What kind of stopping power are we talking about here? The stopping power that immediately stops the threat by instantly killing the person? The stopping power that doesn't necessarily kill the guy but sends him flying back into the wall like in the movies? The stopping power where the person doubles over and drops because he is instantly incapacitated? It's a very relative term we're discussing here. Secondary wound cavities, temporary wound cavities, transfer of energy, shot placement in vital areas, all play a part in stopping a threat. Unfortunately, nobody has really found the "Excalibur" (pun intended), so the debate continues. Personally, I think 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal are all reliable calibers. I would trust my life with any of them. As you can see above in the link, there are times when the .45, even with all of its weight and energy, doesn't stop a threat right away. There are times when .40 cal and 9mm do not stop a threat right away. Pick your poison and train with it.
GLOCKISSUE I love how you speak from what you have read rather than experience

GLOCKISSUE I love how you speak from what you have read rather than experience

Wow, that was a rude response. I was trying to be helpful to the conversation. You having a bad day brother? Did you take offense to my input or something? The funny thing is, I wasn't even disagreeing with you. I agree with your posts.

What experience are you saying I'm lacking?

Last edited:
:deadhorse:

image.jpg

I love .40, but to be honest, it may have something to do with cost of operation. 9mm is drastically cheaper, and .45 is not that much more expensive. Side note, .380 is ridiculously expensive for what it is IMO.

I love .40, but to be honest, it may have something to do with cost of operation. 9mm is drastically cheaper, and .45 is not that much more expensive. Side note, .380 is ridiculously expensive for what it is IMO.

Yea I agree with you on the .380 pricing. I think people put up with it because of the pocket pistols they like to carry. I wonder why it's so expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom