12   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Suppressor question

Zip Code: 30092

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: 223/55

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: So I am new to the whole suppressor thing and I am looking for something that is well suited for home defense. Clearly the quieter the better. Any advice on where to start?

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Take a l@@k at the OMEGA 3, it can be use on 223/5.56 - 300 Win..

Biggest thing is wait time for your stamp. Look up GEORGIA GUN STORE, in GAINESVILLE, 678-906-5821,
ask for MIKE or KELLIE, they can help you from there on...

just a simple suggestion... No we do not work there however when we spend money it is usually there...

He said .223 / 5.56.

WHat barrel length do you have now?
How much extra length are you willing to add to your muzzle, and still keep your gun's length reasonable for in-home use?

I'm not sure how a suppressor purchased "for home defense" would be different from one to be used at the range, or for quieter hunting in the woods.

Surely you don't intend to use subsonic ammo, right? So no matter what you put on the end of your gun, it will still sound at least as loud as a .22 rifle fired with high-velocity ammo.

If you wanted really quiet, you'd probably be better off with a different barreled upper in a caliber, 6.5, 6.8, or .30, and use subsonic ammo that pushes the heaviest bullet you can stabilize at about 1,050 f.p.s. Or, even better, a pistol caliber upper in 9mm or .45 acp.

I buy mine at quiet riot! McDonough! Great knowledgeable folks got one be out in about 2 weeks. Bought it November 2 nd week. They have a titanium silencerco that goes up to 46 cal works on 22 cal up to 46 cal and all in between!

I'm thinking that a good "home defense" carbine would be a .45 acp caliber carbine that is of the AR design and with all the controls in the same place that AR rifles have them, but this .45 carbine would be registered as an SBR with the barrel cut down to just forward of the handguard, about 8" maybe, and then a .45 / .44 mag suppressor threaded-on.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any such firearm.

Nor do I know of an AR pattern PISTOL in .45 acp, which you could leave "as is" on the barrel end, ready to screw on your can, but you'd want to SBR it so that you could put a real shoulder stock on the thing. If somebody made a .45 acp version of the AR semi-auto handgun, that would be great.

The "Just Right Carbine" looks something like an AR, but it's not. The magazine release and charging handles are in different locations from a real AR. It does take standard AR stocks, grips, and fore-ends, though.

I'm thinking that a good "home defense" carbine would be a .45 acp caliber carbine that is of the AR design and with all the controls in the same place that AR rifles have them, but this .45 carbine would be registered as an SBR with the barrel cut down to just forward of the handguard, about 8" maybe, and then a .45 / .44 mag suppressor threaded-on.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any such firearm.

Reach out to Rudy at Macon Armory. He can hook you up. Here's mine.

i12_photobucket_com_albums_a202_dieter61_IMG_20160530_201404650_zpszufs6jrn_jpg_original_.jpg

45 is a good option but all of that I think I would just rather get a Vector in 45 and put a suppressor on it. I may do that down the road but for now I just want to find the best option for 556. Since it is an 11.5’ barrel I’m thinking of going with a full size can. Just want to know some options that do a pretty decent job of dampening the sound to an acceptable level. I know with 556 you will not get the sound level to whisper quiet wothout looking at other options like sub sonic ammo but anything that can options that make the sound manageable within the home and no ear protection is all I can really ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom